Cannon & Kinsmans

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobandgeri

Reaction score
What a great weekend to be hiking in the Whites! We hiked Sat and Sun under bright blue skies.

Sat we hiked to the summit of Cannon to meet a couple of friends for lunch who were sking. We went up and down the Hi-Cannon trail which is in great shape - no issues on the cliffs or ladder. Used our hiking poles, but the crampons and snow shoes just went along for the ride as we bare booted the entire way.

Sun we started the day by running into Posterboy and Michele at Peg's in Woodstock where we had a qucik breakfast. As we headed to the trailhead we could see the high winds which were forecast to be 70 - 100 mph on the high summits. Luckily they were not that strong on the Kinsmans, although it was very windy at times. In the 1:20 it took us to traverse over to South Kinsman and back to North there were new snow drifts.

Pics and comments on our web page:

http://rbhayes.net/latesthike.html

You always have the best pictures! It WAS a gorgeous day, I tackled Waumbek but wish I had hiked something that afforded more views! The presidentials looked amazing, though.

Seema - If you use a really high powered magnifying glass you can just makie you out in the photo we took form South Kinsman :> Was a great day to be out wasn't it. The sky was so blue, even on the drive home. Hope we have a few more weekends like this one.

proszach - Thanks for the kind words!

Bob and Geri's photo's are copyrighted by BobHayes, Inc. All rights reserved. Any duplication of these photos are strictly prohibited. :D

Hehehehehehe :eek:

Nice to hear you had a good day in the woods and on the mountain tops! It was a beauty of a weekend!

Kinsmans and Cannon

Bob and Geri,
I havent had much experience winter hiking, only Pierce, but it sounds like a great trip you guys did!
I did Cannon and Kinsmans along with Lafayette, Licoln and Owl's Head last year. Did you guys take the Lonesome Lake-Fishin Jimmy-Kinsman Ridge route when you did Kinsmans? I did, and it was rigorous but hell of a lotta fun!
I thought Cannon was a nice mountain although it was a bit touristy and it was also disheartening to know that the cable car can make it up in 10 minutes whereas it takes regular human beings a few hours.
I would really like to try Lafayette and Lincoln in winter, they were my favorites! :D

Last edited:
Wow, fantastic pics! I had a failed attempt to summit the Kinsmans a few weeks to prior to you all's trip.

Perhaps this weekend......

GorpBurp said:
Bob and Geri,
Did you guys take the Lonesome Lake-Fishin Jimmy-Kinsman Ridge route when you did Kinsmans?

Yes - we did the same route. Some steep sections, but the rewards are well worth it!

We did Lafayette and Lincoln a few weeks ago - had great weather. They are a favorite of ours as well.