Caps Ridge to Mt. Clay, Sept 2nd

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestgnome

Reaction score
What a perfect day!

mossy brook along Jefferson Notch Road....
9-02-07-017a.jpg

Caps Ridge Trail gets you immediately into lush boreal forest. Here's an unidentified mushroom...
9-01-07-005a.jpg

indian pipes...
9-01-07-102a.jpg

british soldiers...
9-01-07-069a.jpg

continiued...

Last edited:
Up over treeline, the Cornice Trail leads through the beautiful Monticello Lawn. The colors of the alpine grasses, granite and sky were like eye candy on this gorgeous day...
9-02-07-025a.jpg

a exposed vein of quartz on Mt. Clay...
9-02-07-099a.jpg

Looking north from Mt. Clay toward Mts. Jefferson, Adams and Madison...
9-02-07-066a.jpg

This was my first time hiking b/w Sphinx Col and Mt. Clay summit. I was surprised at the amount of alpine flowers so I'll be back next spring and early summer.

cinquefoil rivals sugar maple for autumn color...
9-02-07-092a.jpg

looking north from the little col b/w the two sub peaks of Mt. Clay...
9-02-07-088a.jpg

A few hawks were hunting around the slopes. I didn't want to leave the alpine zone on this perfect day.
looking back at Mt. Washington in late afternoon...
9-02-07-001a.jpg

I took a nap in a little nook, then reluctantly hiked back down Caps Ridge. A Barred Owl was hunting along Jefferson Notch Road.
9-03-07-011a.jpg

Happy Trails :)

Awesome photos! I've been toying with the idea of doing that hike sometime soon.

Awesome Stuff!

Any time spent above treeline is time well spent, especially on such a perfect day. Great shots as always! I discovered Mount Clay a couple of years ago when I volunteered at the Obs. I hiked over to Jefferson and back, Clay was empty except for me and the sedge. Definitely underated!

KDT