Car Camping Near Greylock

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel Eagan

Reaction score
We have a couple of mid-week days in August and want to climb Greylock. Have no idea of the area at all. Any opinions about Clarksburg State Park? Pittsfield State Forest?

The Greylock website also suggests Savoy Mountain State Forest or Mohawk Trail State Forest. There's also the Historic Valley Campground at Windsor Lake.

We are looking primarily for (1) quiet and (2) swimming. Any advice is appreciated.

Clarksburg is close to the Upper and eastern trailheads.. It is popular with the folks starting the Long Trail/AT at the VT/MA border just because of it's location.

I've camped at the Historic valley campground when Clarksburg was full. If you get the walkin sites, they are generally quiet and there is the lake that you can swim in. It's run by the town of North Adams so it's kind of off the radar for that area. I think I would try to avoid Windsor Lake if you can't get the walk ins.. I was there on a weekend and it wasn't what I would call quiet, outside the walkin sites but then again, I had the entire walk in site area to myself and I was on my bike so it wasn't even walk in either as I simply rode my bicycle to my campsite.

You could also camp in Pittsfield State Forest at Berry Pond though not sure if you're allowed to swim at Berry Pond, it's pretty small. I think midweek would be fairly quiet at any of the sites.. The upper campsites in Pittsfield SF are also BYO water as only the lower sites have potable water i.e. the sites on the top of the loop have no potable water. If you don't mind a drive, I've camped at Beartown SF down by Great Barrington and those sites are pretty nice and fairly quiet. October Mtn in Lee has some sites closer to greylock too...

I guess I'll toss this out there too that Sperry Campground isn't truly car camping but it's a 1.4 mile hike from the official parking lot for campers there... And there isn't swimming unless you jump into the march cataract falls...

Jay

Last edited:
I would also throw in a vote for Savoy Mountain S.F. It is the former CCC camp that supplied the labor for the building of the Thunderbolt Ski Trail on Greylock's eastern side. See this movie for info on the history of the Thunderbolt.

If you like a more primitive camping experience you'll like Savoy more than Berry Pond. You might have a bit further to drive than you would from Clarksburg but you'll get to see the mountain reflecting the early morning light when you reach the edge of the valley (either on Rt. 2 or 116) which is definitely worth the price of admission.

A bit further away from Greylock, but quiet, nice swimming and nice facilities is Upper Goose Pond Cabin along the A.T. about 30 miles south of Greylock near Lee. It's on my list of places to go. I hear they cook nice blueberry pancakes there, too.

A bit further away from Greylock, but quiet, nice swimming and nice facilities is Upper Goose Pond Cabin along the A.T. about 30 miles south of Greylock near Lee. It's on my list of places to go. I hear they cook nice blueberry pancakes there, too.

Nice place, definitely swimmable but it's definitely not car camping unless you have permission or know of some way to access the private homes along the south lake there...

A lot of the DCR campgrounds do not have showers, mind you so if you want a shower, you might try a private campground. I know of one by Pontoosuc Lake but have no idea how nice it is...

Jay

We have camped at several places in Berkshire County. Our favorite is Savoy State Forest. Clarksburg is also nice, but is less remote feeling. Both have swimming and have decent access to the north side of Greylock. Beartown State Forest, which is a ways south of Greylock is also a nice campground with a nice pond. Although there is no swimming and a mile and a half hike in is required, Sperry Campground on Greylock itself is great. It is quiet and remote, and if you needed to, you could take a dip in the river. Have fun. The Berkshires are beautiful.

Not only not car camping, it appears to be dedicated for A.T. thrus and sectioners. I've read accounts of others staying there, but it would not be something one could plan on. So much for that idea: http://www.outdoors.org/lodging/cabins-campgrounds/camps-uppergoose.cfm

I think the AT hikers have priority so if it's high thru hikers season, then it might be harder. I think most of the nobos would have gone through the southern berkshires by now, but I don't really follow them. I occasionally see thru hiker looking folks in Lenox or Pittsfield in my travels...

Jay

i'll mention Woodford State Park for camping. You can swim at Harriman Reservoir which is several miles east of there. Both places are fairly close to Mt. Greylock. There's also car camping at the Hopper trailhead and swimming at Mount Hope Park and a small swimming hole just upstream from the first bridge on the Money Brook trail.

Thanks for all the advice. We've booked a spot at Savoy Mountain State Forest.

We plan to start at Hopper Road, take the Money Brook Trail to the AT, and then loop back via Hopper Trail.

Is Mt. Williams worth climbing?

Any recommendations for restaurants in Adams?

I do not know about restaurants but I can recommend a visit to Mass MOCA -- the art museum in the converted old mills in North Adams-- they have a fantastic collection of wild contemporary art. Your hiking plan sounds good -- I think it is worth making a detour to the March Cataract Falls as well. Also, near Savoy, within the park grounds, are Tannery Falls, which are also worth a visit. We have not climbed Mt. Williams.

Thanks for all the advice. We've booked a spot at Savoy Mountain State Forest.

We plan to start at Hopper Road, take the Money Brook Trail to the AT, and then loop back via Hopper Trail.

Is Mt. Williams worth climbing?

Any recommendations for restaurants in Adams?

Mt. Williams has a limited view from the top, which is similar but not as good as views you'll get later. You can cut some distance by crossing the road before you get to Wilbur's Shelter. The trails will bring you to the AT south of Mt. Williams.

The better restaurants are in Williamstown. The Purple Pub and Hobson's Choice are good.

I've been to a few basic pizza places in north adams but also this place:

http://www.publiceatanddrink.com/

It's casual and pretty good..

If you like tapas, you might be interested in going west on rt 2 and check out Espanas in Williamstown and if you go even further (Not really far though) you can check out Williamstown, MA and Spring street. A lot of good places to eat there and SoCo Creamery Ice Cream. There is a good Sushi/Thai place there as well as a few other places and the Purple Pub which is associated with Williams College.

If you have time in Savoy, you can check out Savoy Mtn which has a fire tower there (can't climb it) or Busby Mtn. both are popular and short. There's also a few waterfalls in Savoy that are nice...

Jay

Best coffee I've ever had (confirmed on three separate visits) is on the main drag in Williamstown on the right, they do amazing baked goods as well.

We climbed Greylock on 8/27, not the best weather but a good hike. Backtracking to Mt. Williams from Money Brook was really worth it. Would like to try the ridge again in the fall.

Ate at The Hub in North Adams, a nice spot. And camping at Savoy was wonderful, with excellent swimming.