Careful of ticks when hiking in the northeast

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobmak

Reaction score
I just read this article online about the instances of Lyme disease rising in NH. I already know several people that are being treated for this. I don't think you have to worry too much about ticks if you are hiking in the high country, but if you hike in the lower woods or with dogs (both of which I do) please take the time to examine yourself carefully for ticks at the end of the day. No additional comments needed, I just wanted to post this as a warning of sorts.

Got it

I am currently on a two week regimen of Doxycycline for one of the 11 tick bourne diseases which includes Lyme. I came down with Lyme like symptoms about 45 days after finding two deer ticks embedded at my waist line after a several hour bushwhack from Nancy to Bemis. Three of us did the whack, MEB and Dr_wu. I was the only one who got ticks. (that will teach me to lead) We did the whack in April or May, I forget, but there were patches of deep snow. The ticks were so tiny I thought that they were specks of dirt or leaf debris. They ended getting scraped off instad of removed properly. Those fellas are so tiny that I'm not sure that one could get ahold of the head with tweezers anyway. After two Lyme tests, they detected a disease called Ehrlichiosis HGE. The joint pains and general malaise I felt all summer kept my hiking to almost nil. Hopefully the treatment will cure me. I'm too young to become a couch potato.

Hillwalker said:
I am currently on a two week regimen of Doxycycline for one of the 11 tick bourne diseases which includes Lyme. I came down with Lyme like symptoms about 45 days after finding two deer ticks embedded at my waist line after a several hour bushwhack from Nancy to Bemis. Three of us did the whack, MEB and Dr_wu. I was the only one who got ticks. (that will teach me to lead) We did the whack in April or May, I forget, but there were patches of deep snow. The ticks were so tiny I thought that they were specks of dirt or leaf debris. They ended getting scraped off instad of removed properly. Those fellas are so tiny that I'm not sure that one could get ahold of the head with tweezers anyway. After two Lyme tests, they detected a disease called Ehrlichiosis HGE. The joint pains and general malaise I felt all summer kept my hiking to almost nil. Hopefully the treatment will cure me. I'm too young to become a couch potato.

Well that pretty much answers my question that even the ticks above 3000 feet in the Whites can be dangerous. I always figured that since i never really heard about Lyme disease too much at higher altitudes, there was nothing to worry about. Well I I guess I will always wear long pants if I ever begin the bushwacking thing. I hope you make a full recovery.

grouseking

Clothing

That day I wore long pants, long sleeved shirt with cuffs double buttoned, and gaiters. Those little buggers still got in and went to the tightest places in my attire. Since we were pretty much in a line, crashing trough the thickest stuff, I imagine that they were shaken or brushed off on the passage of the first warm body which was me.

Hillwalker said:
That day I wore long pants, long sleeved shirt with cuffs double buttoned, and gaiters. Those little buggers still got in and went to the tightest places in my attire. Since we were pretty much in a line, crashing trough the thickest stuff, I imagine that they were shaken or brushed off on the passage of the first warm body which was me.
Yer better get better! I've been minus a hiking partner for the whole summer! How are you feeling?

I can verify that yes, Tom was wearing long pants that day:
00009ph3

Man, do I feel bad about it. I was probably wearing shorts that day too! I hope you feel better, Tom!

-Dr. Wu

Yes, as small as life-size pictures of deer ticks are, they look even smaller in real life. I've read that they're smaller than the head of a pin. The two I've seen that I know for sure were deer ticks were so incredibly tiny that I doubt I could have impaled one with the point of a sharp needle.

Hillwalker: Thank you for pointing out the dangers of tick transmitted diseases other than Lyme. I know two Irish Wolfhounds that died from Ehrlichia. Prior to infection, both were healthy, very well cared for, and in their prime. Both were on Frontline Plus and had the Lymevax lyme vaccine.

We cannot be too vigilant when it comes to tick-checking ourselves and our hiking partners (regardless of how furry they are).

Dugan said:
We cannot be too vigilant when it comes to tick-checking ourselves and our hiking partners (regardless of how furry they are).
One thing that I do is change my clothes (including undie-wears) immediately after a hike. If the buggers are on my clothes then there's less of a chance that they'll get on my skin. Not 100% effective by any means but I bet it takes a factor out of the equation.

We all hope that Tom gets better quick though! Lots of good hikes we need him to lead!

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
Another wish for Tom's speedy recovery. As does Wu, I change clothes as soon as I can after a hike, check myself carefully, and then take a shower immediately if possible. I also sometimes take precautions during the actual hike, like avoiding grassy areas and checking parts of myself periodically.
I tend to be more concerned when hiking in lower areas like the Shawangunks, but as this case shows, you can pick the damn things up at higher elevations as well. I guess they can be found anywhere their host animals dwell.

Matt

I've never really encountered any ticks of serious merit anywhere other than Harriman S.P. (Orange/Rockland County, NY) Maybe due to the lower elevation, milder winters, whatever, but for some reason, hiking there and then specifically in certain spots and certain types of trails, they seem to be in abundance. Certainly the lighter color clothes and tucking in pants help, but those buggers almost always wind up getting in and then you find them in the post-hike shower.

Jay

Spoon! ;)

A few more things to point out. Light colored clothes, especially pants and socks, is a real plus. Ticks do show up much better on a light background. Tight fitting pant cuffs or gaiters will help. Most evidence indicates that it will take a couple days of feeding to become infected with tick borne disease so repeated checks in the days following a hike is beneficial and an immediate antibiotic treatment if a tick is discovered provides reasonable protection. Dr. Wu's procedure of immediately changing out is a good approach. Before retiring I worked for an organization where many of our employees spent days out in high tick infestation areas. Despite thorough checks at the end of each day many ticks were found in company vehicles and subsequently on folks who never ventured to the field. In short check your kids and other family members if they use the same vehicles as you do, even if they don't hike. Bag your hiking clothes if you change out after a hike, don't just leave them in the backseat or trunk.

For those of you that did not read the article, the part that really hit home for me about the seriousness of this is the following quote:

"What they found was that more than half the ticks collected in Lee and Durham were infected — "and in the Concord site, it was over 70 percent."

"So what this tells us is that in both of these places, the Seacoast and the Concord site, it clearly has been established for quite some time," Eaton said. And he added that a similar incidence of infected ticks is likely in most of the rest of the state as well."

I rarely day hike up north; when I venture into NH & Maine I do mostly multi-day trips. Taking the time to check oneself carefully after making camp will now become a regular part of my day in the spring and fall.

Just another reason why winter hiking is more fun than summer! :D

Ticks ARE ACTIVE all year long - though much less so in the winter.

Ticks are very common in MA as well. I did some research a year or two ago that said Lyme disease is considered endemic in the CT river valley.

As the owner of the white dog, I can verify through much personal experience that ticks are much easier to find on a white background.