Caribou Valley Road - repaired!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What they all said. Used to be you could take your Civic all the way in to the pond, if not further.
If you want to really enjoy it, though, xc ski up CVR to Redington in the winter. The big bowl of the Caribou Valley is spectacular when filled with snow.

CVR was being regraded on 7/20/12

I was hiking in the area yesterday (Friday) and I ended up walking out a good chunk of the CVR. (I'll save the explanation for a trip report!) Anyway, the first ~3 miles from the road were in the process of being regraded. So on Friday afternoon the road was quite rutty with areas of soft soil mixed the exposed rock. I met someone driving out who parked just before the metal bridge the day before and the work had not started yet. He was surprised by the "modifications" that occurred while he was camping overnight. Luckily he had a pickup. Anyway, I'm glad I did not drive my Prius in early Friday morning - the trip out would not have been pretty.

I imagine that when they're done the road will be in pretty good shape, to go with the fixed up bridges.

chipc

I'm planning on using the CVR in a few weeks when a group of us hike the Crockers and Redington. Does anyone have any knowledge of the condition of the CVR and the bridges up to the AT crossing this spring?

I have no knowledge of its current condition, but was last on the CVR in November 2012. Then, the road was in decent shape, some washboard sections, and one section on a hill that was somewhat eroded, but the bridges were good. That said, I made it easily in the sedan I had at the time. The road is blocked just before the metal bridge, ~0.5 from the AT crossing.