carlo loop backpack 6-12+6-13-13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natron

Reaction score
carlo col campsite is a short hike from success pond rd. So starting late is a good option or starting from speck pond trail head, I chose both. Wasn't sure where I'd finish the loop the next day either speck pond tr., or notch tr. I knew if I finished on speck pond tr. a 2 mile rd. hike late at nite with a long work shift looming the next day would not be pleasing and if I finished the shorter loop the 2 mile rd. walk wouldn't be a big deal.
004_zpsfdc5ff47.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I had a quick pace (80 min) on the 4.2 miles on success pond rd. sporting my 40lb pack. Bud light and shotgun shells are the top littered items along the rd. Weather was misty/drizzle with a breeze and upper 50's, ahh june...
Now it was time for Carlo col trail, copious amounts of water previous days had really flooded the streams. I got to the 1st water crossing, glad I had water shoes, thanx Lefty for the sound advice, much appreciated!
007_zpsbfa28018.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

2nd water crossing, again highwater.
019_zps56552e08.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

3rd water crossing? on map only saw 2?
025_zpsca0a300a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

4th water crossing? o.k. that's when you know you're in epic highwater conditions! Also at this point I've now spent more time changing boots/water shoes than actual hiking of the carlo col tr. However I was enjoying the adverse adventure.
032_zpsa851e414.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

there was a 5th crossing at the top and was hoppable.. Got to camp @7:30p, there were 2 thru hikers in the shelter, I tented on a platform. Pumped water, made dinner, ramen noodles, instant potatoes, stuffing. woke up @6a to rain drops, went back to bed stopped raining@7:30a, so that's when I started my day. pump water, breakfast, bathroom, break down camp. 9a started hiking.
breakfast; 2 packages brown sugar oatmeal&cran-garpe. Water was excellent @ camp
038_zps72e1c2e9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

some nice vert right out of carlo col camp to carlo, trails were soaked to start the day was hoping the morning sun would help dry out the trails...
view from carlo to w.goose eye
045_zps70aec638.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Going down carlo was a, slow wet rock bigpack borderline scary adventure. Unfortunately this would be the theme of the day as the clouds overtook the sun by 11a. and the trails stayed soaked all day...
I've hiked goose eyes twice but only from wright trails. From the a.t. south was pretty cool, I really enjoyed the rungs followed by ladder section.
048-2_zpsb24f9f0a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

ladder
052_zps00699c32.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

view of e.goose from w.goose eye
056_zps2c84e485.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

continued...

Last edited:
love this section of alpine meadows.
060_zps69180bd0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

love this section of alpine meadows.
063_zps5b25efb2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Lunch @ full goose, this is where I got some good black fly bites. If you notice my water behind my gatorade looks like cider, that's how it pumped here last year too for me, was hoping all the recent rain would clear it up. I'm sure water was safe, I enjoy drinking clear water tho...
064-1_zps46f8e506.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

When I got to the big intersection @2:30p I decided for the easy 4.5 miles (that includes the 2 miles of rd.) back to the car vs. the 7 hard miles. I had my fill of hard miles with all the slick rocks earlier, so mahoosuc notch, next time! I was in my car heading home @5:15p.
068_zpsbf6e52a1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The notch tr was a low elevation treat! great tread and trail follows a brook most of the way down that was roaring for me, with some awesome cascades and pools. This trip really got me stoked for my late july, grafton loop I have planned. Oh yeah, I only encountered one person for the 25.5 hrs out there and that was a brief chat with one of the thru hikers in the morning from the carlo col shelter as I was leaving, never saw a soul on the trails..

Last edited:
Sounds like a fun overnight, LOVE the views from the goose. Was in the notch on Tuesday and can def relate with you on the sopping wet trail conditions.

That is a really great loop which I've done too. The alpine meadows are a unique treat. Slippery is the permanent condition of the Mahoosuc in that stretch. A bit "scary" is apt with a big pack--it didn't seem like normal hiking with all the wet ledge/rungs or slick downslope facing bog bridging.

natron thanks for the nice report and pics! Sorry I forgot to mention the 4 crossings, there used to be only the first one and one higher up which really was never an issue...since the trail relocated the trail crosses the brook a couple more times...like I said before the AMC did some work on this trail and a new adopter is looking forward to getting it in better shape...glad you enjoyed the area!!