Carr Mountain - 12/17/06

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelJ

Reaction score
Once in a while, you just have to hike. Okay, for most of us that's every weekend. There comes a time, though, when you really have to get out. This was one of those days for me. The weather looked ominous to the far north, but in the more southern stretches of the Whites the forecast was promising. Since I was aiming for her home area, I gave Periwinkle a call to see if she wanted to join me. She was game since it wasn't Vose Spur again, and even had an idea for where to hike.

CRW_9425.jpg
Sunday morning I managed a rarity - I got up to New Hampshire on time; a bit early, even. Apparently no sleep is the key to not being late, and not speeding is the key to having the person in front of you get pulled over. Periwinkle wasn't ready yet, as a power failure the night before kept her and Basecamp's alarm from going off, so it wasn't until 10am that we arrived in Bess, the wood-paneled Jeep, at the Three Ponds Trail. From here, we were going to climb around 2240 ft. over 3.4 mi. to the 3453' summit of Carr Mountain.

Actually, let me step back here a moment. Let's talk for a moment about the drive there. Ellsworth Hill Road is a fine, paved, winding road. Then it passes the "Not maintained for winter travel" sign, the pavement ends, its name changes to Stinson Lake Road, and the fun begins. Yes, there's nothing quite like a dirt road covered with a layer of ice, especially after the "13% grade" sign. Do not try to drive this route after the next snowstorm; it's a snowmobile route in winter, anyway.

CRW_9447.jpg
The first half mile on the Three Ponds Trail was very mellow. The ice in the parking lot did not follow the trail, and except for the occasional mud puddle, we had good footing all the way up past the Mt. Kineo Trail to the well-marked turn for the Carr Mountain Trail. Again, this was an easy trail to follow, especially seeing as it was heading downhill to the crossing of Sucker Brook. This proved not to be a problem, with plenty of stepping stones available, and then we almost immediately crossed the old woods road that is called the "local route" in many texts.

CRW_9456.jpg
From there the trail began a long but very moderate ascent through open woods on the eastern shoulder of the mountain. There were no surprises here, and no problems following the footpath. A few blowdowns could use clearing, though. There's also a remarkable one where the top of a tree brook off and stuck directly into the ground, upside-down, looking like a giant spider. There were stretches of good footing as well as patches of deep mud and many puddles. There was a snow line around, I think, 2200', where we picked up patchy, rotten snow. Just enough to mess with our footing and conceal the deepest puddles.

CRW_9470.jpg
The Carr Mountain Trail has a wide variety of styles to it. It ranges from an old road to a narrow, rocky, root-covered path; from open forest to dark spruce. We saw all sorts of various flora, moose tracks, giant boulders, and Tramper Al. There was also the unending amusement of Chappy running back and forth and back and forth and back and...

We had a brief moment of confusion at the junction with an old road, the former trail route, around 2330'. There was just enough snow to cover over the brushing that was blocking this direction, and the old blazes are still knocked into the trees beyond. It was only by luck that we noticed an arrow carved in the trunk of a birch tree pointing us in the other direction. You don't want to miss this turn; however, once you walk up about 10' the correct trail becomes obvious.

CRW_9483.jpg
The higher we got, the more snow and ice and water and mud. It was frustrating at times, and Periwinkle would use Stabilicers to great effect all throughout this region on our descent. I just held on tightly and hoped for the best. We crested the ridgeline and turned south, and after a little rambling found ourselves at the summit spur trail, a short 70 yards to an open ledge surrounded by growing conifers reclaiming the view, and the massive foundations of an old fire tower last used in 1948 and long since torn down. Top of the mountain, end of the line.

CRW_9491.jpg
Despite the cold wind and grey skies, we took some time to explore the summit area, as some huge rock knobs, as well as an old concrete staircase, provided many photo opportunities to be enjoyed between the sips of hot cocoa that were my lunch. According to Steve Smith over 30 4000-footers can be seen from this summit, but we could not see much beyond Mt. Kineo as the clouds absorbed the more distant mountaintops. It didn't take long before the cold wind cost the summit our interest, and we started down.

CRW_9502.jpg
The way down was no different than the way up, except of course for the traction issues found when descending. Stabilicers worked well for Periwinkle here. I was okay with barebooting, though, and we saw in the snow the tracks of YakTrax as well. Crampons would have been useless, as would snowshoes. We just plodded along, taking our time. Between the tough footing, Periwinkle's knees, and stopping for pictures, we returned to the car in 6 hours exactly. From there I drove home, neatly avoiding another pair of speed traps, and being reminded on several occasions that decaf does not keep me awake.

CRW_9508.jpg
This was a decent mountain. To get any views does require standing on the old foundations or scaling one of the rocky knobs on the summit. This would also make a good snowshoe or expert ski in winter, as long as you use a different road to get to the trailhead. Feel free to check out my photo album from this trip.

Last edited:
Real nice hike, I enjoyed it myself last April. And yes, lots of 4k footers visible, at least 25 I'd say. I could even pick out Camels Hump to the west. I was lucky to hit it on a sunny day, here's some pics if interested in the views the clouds hid. Moosilauke and Washington, I thought were especially impresive from this peak.

Also, the 'spider tree' (which is exactly what I thought it looked like) was there during my trip as well and is in the pics.

MichaelJ,

Terrific hike pics. You really captured the spirit of the hike with the lay of the trail and the dog's antics. I've been up in that part of New Hampshire before and know of Mts. Carr and Stinson (sp?) in earlier days of going to a camp around there. Thanks for sharing your adventures.

Regards,

Ridgewalker

No special reason. I was driving over the bridge in front of the dam and the light was just right so I stopped to take a few (okay, a dozen) pictures.

Nice Michael. Fun partner, too (the dog or PW????). PW- I don't know the dog!!

I like the pix and trail layering on Google Earth. I don't know what the "Y" list is... do you think I need to know??

Dawg - nice that you added the views!!

There's also an abandoned trail from the west, in case y'all didn't know. That's what cantdog was alluding to. I think it was April, the ground was bare down in the town, and off we went without snowshoes - in fact some of us didn't even have winter boots. As soon as we got into thicker evergreens, the trouble started. Hip-deep snow undercut with running water...you'd think we'd have just turned around. Oh no! We made Little Bear lead, since she was the lightest, and in fact she was the only one who wasn't breaking through most of the time. The rest of us looked like a pack of troll weebles lurching about, and this was just 5 months after Pat's hip replacement. We finally regained our senses and retreated to dry ground. Funny how a half-mile of that feels like a very full day of exercise!

Bubba,

The Y-Alpine List is the NH 100 highest with trails. I have no idea how many I've done. I'm not counting. Really. Honest.

Audrey,
We thought about trying the traverse, but were concerned about the condition of the trail on the west side. I don't think we would have had it as hard as you, though!

That was great day on the trail, views or no views! It was an easy decision to ignore my long holiday to-do list and go hiking instead. I’m so glad I did. Being out in the woods always gives a fresh perspective on life – on what matters most. The peaceful elemental beauty found there sooths my soul. It was the better choice to get out there and just go.

And I always enjoy hiking with MichaelJ, since he’s so easy going. He never complains about my pace or style (or even my over sleeping!) It’s great to have someone willing to hike off the beaten path. Carr wouldn’t have been a first choice for most, but as the sign says, it’s a quieter corner of the WMNF. That was so appealing. I wasn’t looking to hike with the hordes on a Sunday. As it was, the only other person we met all day was Tramper Al. How cool it that?!

Carr has been on my personal “Because It’s There” List. Hiking it with MichaelJ just keeps up the tradition of me starting new (and more obscure lists) every time we go out. It’s kind of funny in a way. Anti-Peakbagging peakbaggin’! Even funnier is that Scar Ridge is on my “BIT” list. There’s something wrong with me….:D

Carr turned out to be a great choice. It was a nice trail – well, other than the slightly mushy conditions. And a break in the clouds at the summit would have been a bonus. We had a tough time figuring out what was what with the low cloud ceiling cutting of the tops of all the peaks. Thanks for sharing your views, TDawg. Awesome!

The summit of Carr was still interesting enough to merit exploring a bit, even though I should have known better. The black dog whined the whole time because of all the slab rock. He hates that. And stopping in the cold isn’t good for his elbows or my knees and it made the descent through the crud uncomfortable. Remarkably, we’ve both recovered well. You’d never know that he was dragging tail or that I had to hit the pharmaceuticals for the last mile out. He’s been bouncing around doing the “What are we doing today? Huh? Huh?” routine all morning. Unfortunately for him, I’ve got PT today. Oh, joy…..

All in all though, it was good day out. Isn't any day on the trail a good day?

Last edited:
Carr

Yes, Carr is a real gem! I hiked up an autumn afternoon more than ten years ago, just because it was there and I'd driven buy it so many times for so many years. I had seen the fire tower when it was still standing, and didn't know there were any views from the summit without a tower. After a nice hike up the abandoned west side trail I emerged on the summit rocks, delighted to find those magnificent views. One of those magic mountain moments. I've never gone back.

Sometimes a hike is so wonderful that I don't know if I even want to go back, but rather keep that moment of the peak preserved in my memory.

Did you see the link in the TR to the picture of the old tower? That must have been something for you to have seen in person even from a distance below!

Last edited:
MichaelJ said:
Actually, let me step back here a moment. Let's talk for a moment about the drive there. Ellsworth Hill Road is a fine, paved, winding road. Then it passes the "Not maintained for winter travel" sign, the pavement ends, its name changes to Stinson Lake Road, and the fun begins. Yes, there's nothing quite like a dirt road covered with a layer of ice, especially after the "13% grade" sign. Do not try to drive this route after the next snowstorm; it's a snowmobile route in winter, anyway.

I'm really surprised that the road was in such rough shape. I know that the dirt road makes a hard right and goes through Ellsworth (really small town) and eventually on into Campton. There are definitely houses along the route, so I'm kind of surprised that the road isn't maintained for winter travel. I've been up there in April before and had no problems, but I do remember it being pretty muddy. The road really is pretty and it makes a nice loop if you are in the Plymouth area. It comes out right near Rt 3 and Rt 49 in Campton so it is basically a circle. There are wonderful views of the White mtns along the way, especially in Campton and as you head towards Ellsworth, you get more of a wild feeling. Cool road!

Did you come from Stinson Lake, or from Campton?

grouseking

We came from Campton. It was the stretch from the end of the pavement to where the road comes in from Stinson Lake that was the worst.

Driving out, it was just mud and puddles, but they were just going to refreeze overnight back into an ice layer.

Carr Mt West

The Carr Mt West trail from the Fish Hatchery off Rte 25 is currently being maintained by a young couple from Warren. I met and talked with them just after Thanksgiving during the "Trashgiving" celebration at the "Hikers Welcome" Hostel.