Carrigan in Winter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rev-t

Reaction score
Hi,

I am thinking of trying Carrigan in February. My tentative plan is the same route I have taken several times in summer and fall. Go in via Carrigan Notch to the junction with the Desolation Trail and camp. Then summit via Desolation Trail and descend via Signal Ridge Trail. If time allows head all the way out, if not stay one more night. This would mean taking a full load up and over, though my solo winter load for an 1-2 day trip is light, 45#.

I took this route in late October in '98 arriving at the summit at 6:00 AM and waiting for sunrise. Beautiful!

The other idea is go in via the Nancy Brook Trail camping in the same area. Then both summit and descend by the same route (Desolation Trail) thereby saving a full gear ascent. Though I really like the walk across the Desolation Ridge.

Just wondering if anyone has any info on that route or better ideas.

Peace

Rev T

You got it right about Carrigain via. Carrigain Notch. With the leaves down you'll have some wild views to both Carrigain and Lowell. If you come in on Nancy Pond Trail A) you can always drop your pack at Carrigain Summit and descend to Signal Ridge and then go back up, if you're comfortable with that and B) might want to go up Mt. Nancy while you're there. Nancy is reached via. unofficial (but well maintained Trail) on west end of Norcross Pond. Good views.

You can also come in on Carrigain Notch, camp -- walk over to Norcross Pond and walk back, then go up Carrigain and descend on Signal Ridge Trail and out. Take care not to lose the Carrigain Notch Trail which is occassionally hard to follow! Sounds like a great trip!

-Dr. Wu

You know that the Sawyer River Road is closed at 302 in winter, right? That'll add a few miles on either end if you do your first itinerary.

el-bagr said:
You know that the Sawyer River Road is closed at 302 in winter, right? That'll add a few miles on either end if you do your first itinerary.
He can always hike in from Hancock Notch Trail!!! :mad: :eek: :D

-Dr. Wu

Sawer River Rd

Yeah,

That adds 2 miles.

I hadn't thought of the Hancock notch idea. I will take a look, thanks

Peace

Rev-t

rev-t said:
Yeah,

That adds 2 miles.

I hadn't thought of the Hancock notch idea. I will take a look, thanks

Peace

Rev-t
I was more joking but only sort of. Hancock Notch trail is pretty long and then you have a walk on Sawyer River Road... but I'm not saying it ain't a good trip!! Probably more enjoyable than walking Sawyer River Road from 302 but it is about an extra 9 miles instead of just 2 miles!! It's something that has been in my sights for a while now though.

Sawyer River Road (from Rt. 302) goes quickly & maybe you can get a ride from a snowmachine (if you don't care about counting it towards a list item).

-Dr. Wu

9 Miles,

Yeah,

I thought it was REALLY long, but I don't have my map handy.

Now, if a snowmobile happens along I am not above taking a ride.

Peace

Rev-T

You skiing or hiking it? I've wanted to do a ski trip in that area and I've heard good things.

Hancock Notch Trail

I must say that the Hancock Notch trail is pretty difficult to follow when you are in the notch itself. Although the land is absolutely breathtaking we had a tough time following the trail and there seemed to be a lack of blazes....and that was in September, so I can only imagine the condition and visibility of the trail this time of year. But if thats your thing, do it up, because it really is gorgeous out there.

I'm assuming I don't have to tell you how steep the Desolation Trail is since you've been up it. Could be fun though. ;)

Enjoy, I've always wanted to summit Carrigain in winter, on a clear day, and not via the normal Signal Ridge direction. I'm jealous.

Grouseking

Blowdown...

Earlier in the year, the Hancocks were rife with blowdown, so much so that it took lots of people heading up and down the loop trail to clear most of the trees that were down. I don't know if they are all clear as of yet.

I would wonder how the going would be on the Desolation trail, seeing as I haven't seen any trip reports for it recently. It could be tough and/or very slow going without it having had any or very little trail maintenance. This is the first thing that came to my mind in reading your initial plan.

Good luck no matter which way you choose.

GNR said:
Earlier in the year, the Hancocks were rife with blowdown, so much so that it took lots of people heading up and down the loop trail to clear most of the trees that were down. I don't know if they are all clear as of yet.

I would wonder how the going would be on the Desolation trail, seeing as I haven't seen any trip reports for it recently. It could be tough and/or very slow going without it having had any or very little trail maintenance. This is the first thing that came to my mind in reading your initial plan.

Good luck no matter which way you choose.
Hancock Notch Trail, I think, is pretty clear up until the junction. then beyond that I don't know as I haven't been on it going out towards Sawyer River Road.

Desolation Trail is steep but the last time I was on it (November) it was ok. It depends on your comfort level... if you don't mind a steep and rough trail then you'll like Desolation. If you don't like a steep and rough trail then you won't like it!

-Dr. Wu