Cascade & Porter 9-26-04

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raftingguy

Reaction score
Well, my friend Tim and I finally managed to coordinate ourselves for a trip to the high peaks. We had limited time so we figured we would climb Porter & Cascade since I needed Porter and he needed both.

We hit the trail at 7:10 hoping to beat the crows. It worked well, because we saw very few people on the way up and had the Porter summit all to ourselves for the 15 minutes we were there.

I have to say, this was probably the best weather day I have ever had for hiking. It was cloudy & cool (in the 40's in the morning) when we started out. But, just before we emerged on the Porter summit the clouds were almost completely burned off. By the time we reached Cascade's summit the sky was completely clear. There was about a 40 mph wind blowing when we first got up there but out of the wind the sun was warm.

We had lunch on Cascade and soaked up the sun. I took a bunch of photos, some of which came out a little dark because the sun was so bright but as soon as I touch them up I will post them.

On the hike down we passed A LOT of people. I couldn't believe what some of them were wearing, but to each his own. We were back at the car by 1:00 and had lunch at the Tail O' the Pup in Ray Brook.

As a side note, I took a jaunt into Marcy Dam on Sat. via the South Meadows truck trail. I don't know if anyone has used that route lately but I can't believe what the beavers have been doing there. It pays to get up early though. I was standing on the bridge just after the register when the beaver came swimming up to the dam, and started working on it right in front of me. I got some great photos. Talk about being in the right place at the right time. When I came back out around 11:00 the beavers were no where to be found, but there were hordes of people hiking in then.

All in all, another great weekend to be in the high peaks!!!

Here are the pictures from the trip

Beaver pics

It was a great day!! Made for a new great avatar!! :) Beautiful pictures, I just love all the reds of the foliage!!

(aka: Chickety)