Castle Ravine ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustJoe

Reaction score
I don't think I've ever seen a report on Castle Ravine to Jefferson from this time of year so I may not get much help. I'm thinking of doing a loop up Castle Ravine to Jefferson and down the Castle Trail. Does anyone know if that ravine holds it's snow late or would be snow-free now?

JustJoe I do believe you'd be fine...I went to do the Subway in King Ravine this past Saturday and no snow until you got in the caves (but not enough to matter)...driving by Bowman yesterday I could not see any snow pockets...I might drive by again this PM and will give you an update, if needed..you will enjoy those trails!!!

I've hiked that loop twice in 07+11 mid-june, snow free both times.. water crossings down low on the way to the ravine are tricky when high..

No info on snow, but I would do the loop the other way, imo it is easier to climb the Castles then to descend them.

No info on snow, but I would do the loop the other way, imo it is easier to climb the Castles then to descend them.
But going up Castle Ravine is even more difficult than downclimbing it. I've done this loop in this direction and it's definitely the easier way.

I prefer going up castle ravine. It will be snow free but it will be wet.

I find Castle trail past the castles a fairly boring trail. The Link is far lesser used alternative (but its westward extension to the Cap Ridge Trail is somewhat infamous)

The fun part of going down Castle Ravine is hearing all the water gurgling underground as you carefully descend. Then when near the bottom seeing it come gushing out of the mountainside. It's very Biblical.