Cat sighting!!!!!!!!!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
chomp said:
A liger... "It's pretty much my favorite animal. It's like a lion and a tiger mixed... bred for its skills in magic."

Nice, Napoleon. If anyone see's a pegasus let me know :D !

hikerfast said:
yaint never seen one of them. that must have been so cool to see. when i first saw your post i thought there was finally a verifiable sighting of a mountain lion. i wonder if that will happen...

I saw a mountain lion this summer in my backyard near Pawling NY. That lion has been sighted and even photographed (not by me). The photo was sent to the DEC and it was hanging in the Orvis in Pawling for some time.
I've seen bobcats, too,but this was the first mountain lion I'd seen. We were told by DEC that due to the extreme dry conditions in NY this summer, lots of critters were out and about looking for water.

FYI, for folks in the CT/NY border area, this lion has been sighted numerous times along the AT corridor between Nuclear Lake and Kent, CT. I've often wondered if it was brought in to one of the many gun clubs along that corridor ??

They are surely a treat to see!

Sabrina

Last edited:
A couple of years ago I was snowshoeing with my wife and two jack russells in a blinding snowstorm only a few hundred yards from our house in the Catskills, when my wife saw a Bobcat jumping down a ledge. I shoed up to see the very clear prints in the snow leading under a ledge, I poked around for a sec, but thought better of freaking out a cornered Bobcat. A Great sighting for her. Her reaction was the same as mine when I saw a B-cat in the middle of the road one late night, the internal thought process goes something like this, "Damn that's a big cat...what a funny short tail...what funky ears...wait a minute, that's a Bobcat!"

cp2000 said:
Nope.

Thats why I asked. I had no Idea they got over 200lb. Interesting.

Yup, they get huge indeed! Their appaerance is VERY distinct from the bobcat and lynx. They look nothing alike. The Mountain lion has shorter and courser hair, all uniform in color (usually a straw or tanish color) with a face coloration a bit like a lions. Mountain Lions are becoming a serious problem out west. There have been reports of them killing and dragging off bycycalists and hikers :eek: .
Brian

una_dogger said:
Heh heh, I'd argue that its suburban sprawl that's the problem, not the lions. They are just doing what big predators do! :eek:

Oh, no disagreement here. As a matter of fact "urban sprawl" can pretty much explain most of the problems we have with "niusance" wildlife. Kinda sucks, but thats "progress" for ya I guess :( .

Brian