Cat3500 finish on Eagle Mt.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhihn

Reaction score
Weather permitting, we plan to finish our Cat3500 peaks on Eagle Mt. either Saturday, March 22nd or Sunday, March 23rd. We'll know more details as we get closer. If you're reading this, you're invited to join us!

Dick

Edit: We've just realized that March 23rd is Easter. We will go on Saturday, March 22, weather permitting, and we'll repost a different backup date, if needed, at a later time.

Last edited:
Hey, Dick,

Fantastic!!!

You know, Eagle Mt is one of the most difficult in the Catskills.

It's challenge lies in identifying the exact point off the trail where the highest point is. 3500 club tradition holds that each hiker must traverse the summit area 35 times at different angles (36 is also acceptable if you are using a compass--every 10 degrees), to assure that you actually have crossed the highest point. Without doing this, sorry, you can't get your patch. :(

Good luck.

JoeCedar said:
Hey, Dick,

Fantastic!!!

You know, Eagle Mt is one of the most difficult in the Catskills.

Yes, we've heard many a tale about the horrors of Eagle Mt.!

JoeCedar said:
It's challenge lies in identifying the exact point off the trail where the highest point is. 3500 club tradition holds that each hiker must traverse the summit area 35 times at different angles (36 is also acceptable if you are using a compass--every 10 degrees), to assure that you actually have crossed the highest point. Without doing this, sorry, you can't get your patch. :(

Good luck.

In other words, do what we always do, and wander aimlessly around the summit! :D

Thanks all for the nice emails/PMs. Sorry for the delay. Meeting time for the hike will be 9:00 AM on Saturday. We are still deciding upon which approach to use, based on conditions after the recent weather. We should know by later tomorrow (Friday) and I will post, PM, email, and phone those who have indicated interest in joining. If others wish to join, let me know and I'll keep you in the loop.

Dick

I'm truly sorry for the late notice. After seeing recent conditions (winds, ice, water levels), and talking to people from the adkhighpeaks board, Joanne and I very reluctantly have decided to postpone tomorrow's hike to Eagle.

Our next possible date is Saturday, April 5. Again, anyone is welcome.

Dick and Edelweiss

Sorry to hear you are postponing the big event :(

But I am glad you are postponing the big event :D

This gives me the opportunity to join the celebration
Keep us posted
Al

Hi Everybody-
Dick and I have decided to "brave" the iffy weather and finish our CAT 3500 on Eagle tomorrow. You are more than welcome to join us at the McKinley Hollow TH at 10:00 a.m.
Joanne