catamount trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hammerhead

Reaction score
Howdy,

Has anyone been on the CT lately? I'm curious about upper French Hollow, Kelley Stand, and MT Tabor area.

Thanks.

Greg

I honestly couldn't tell you about the conditions on the trail itself. I've driven past the trailhead on Rte. 9 twice now in as many weeks. There was traffic on it last weekend but it looks pretty windblown in that area right now. I have been skiing at Prospect over in Woodford. The higher elevations have been getting some of the lake effect and upslope snowfall but I fear that down low it's been pretty light.

There is no base underneath the new snow at all. If you decide to try it be prepared to go right to the bottom. Wish I could give you better info. Perhaps someone else out there can.

bcskier

How's Prospect? They claim to have backcountry access?
Around the Resevoir is really good. Did a snowshoe race there today. Lots O' snow.

Thanks.

Greg

From my observations:

I drove past the Rt 9 trailhead this weekend. It didn't appear that anyone had been out on the Catamount Trail there. But then again, the snow cover was fairly thin, so it would be hard to tell if it was used or not.

But, the weeklong Catamount Ski Tour is still on, starting on Friday. This year, it goes from Ripton/Breadloaf to Farm Resort/Morrisville. I haven't heard anything about changing plans or low snow, so I assume there is good coverage up north. I'm looking forward to it!

Meanwhile, Prospect was hopping over the weekend. Saturday morning there were the USCSA races, followed by Massachusetts high schools in the afternoon. On Sunday, it was USCSA again, and BKYSL in the afternoon. There was just enough snow cover. There was on occassional rock pokeing up though the snow. Next weekend, it's the Williams Carnival races on Friday and Saturday, and USCSA will be there again Saturday afternoon and Sunday.