Catskill Canisters

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schatz

Reaction score
I plan to hike my first Catskill Peaks next month, and would appreciate an information on which peaks have canisters, which are difficult to find, and whether I must find the canister and sign-in in order to qualify for the 3500.

Thanks again,

Schatz

I plan to hike my first Catskill Peaks next month, and would appreciate an information on which peaks have canisters, which are difficult to find, and whether I must find the canister and sign-in in order to qualify for the 3500.
http://www.catskill-3500-club.org/catskill-mountains.html

Tom - Vice-President-3500-Club - Rankin

Reviewing the web page, I do not see the absolute requirement to sign all the canisters, but unofficially, I would say you should give it your best shot. It took me 2 tries for SW hunter, but most of them are pretty straightforward.

More specific information is available for the asking! :D

Last edited:
WHAT?? there are canisters to sign..I did C-W-S and ever knew this ... are they even there?...
See Tom's post above for the link to the Catskill 3500 Club website. That web page identifies the 13 peaks with canisters, and these are trailless peaks (without any maintained or unmaintained trails). Cornell, Wittenberg, and Slide don't have canisters because they are peaks with maintained trails to the summit.

The Catskill 3500 Club successfully lobbied the New York State DEC to allow the retention of the canisters in the wilderness areas and wild forests of the Catskills. Otherwise the DEC would have had them removed for being non-conforming; as was done with the Adirondack 46er canisters.

Last edited:
No Rob, there's only canisters on SOME of the trailless peaks on public land. As Tom put, check the link, there are asterisks and stuff on the special case trailess ones... W-C-S surely have no canisters...

Jay

I used to look for them on all the peaks also:confused:
6 are gray, 7 are red, they are all there waiting to be signed.
Add a short note on your adventure in the log book when signing.
Need info or help? Contact me PM.
The Can Man.

Mudhook is now the official "Catskill 3500 Canister Poobah'.

His job is to maintain the canisters and registers. Jim just about lives up on the summits and ridges, might as well do 'em while he's there, eh ? :eek:

Another site with information

You might also try http://www.catskillhiker.com. Some people feel that this site has a lot of useful information. I am partial since it is my site.

Leavitt Peak (SW Hunter) is a lot easier to do now that there is a weel-defined herd path to the canister.

RHB