Catskills conditions?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drweo

Reaction score
Anyone with additional info on conditions in the Catskills,especialy from hiking today (after the temps dropped!)?
I am thinking about going out tomorrow to climb one of the high peaks (havent decided which one). There was a post about it being slushy a few days ago on Rusk, but things must have frozen up by now. Snowshoes? stabilicers? crampons?
Thanks for any info.

Generally sparse cover at TH's increasing to 2 feet above 3000'..Bring snowshoes although you may start out w/ just BB's or light traction.

Just did Rocky yesterday. I would agree with Hikes4fun.
Even over 2 feet in some places at the upper elevations.
Very cold out there.

Just did Rocky yesterday. I would agree with Hikes4fun.
Even over 2 feet in some places at the upper elevations.
Very cold out there.

And just how windy was it yesterday?? Yikes! Where did you access it from?

And just how windy was it yesterday?? Yikes!

It was wild! Recorded wind gusts up to 49mph near Denning. On the peak it sure felt that way too. Couple that with single digit temperatures and the exposure was pretty exciting. Wind chill brought it down to something like -20. My gloves would freeze if I had them off for just a few minutes to grab a bite.

Where did you access it from?

I parked at the end of Denning Road and came in along the east branch of the Neversink with two buddies (you may know one - ColdFeet). We camped somewhere along the base of Lone. I then hiked further along the Neversink to the stream that comes off the col between Rocky and Balsam Cap. I stayed on the north side of the stream 'till it petered out, then a little south and then kinda hooked back to the west and up the east side of Rocky. Really great hike. The balsams aren't that bad at all. I had hiked Rocky once before but from the west side...thick with balsams from what I remember.

Last edited:
Nice trip--The Neversink Valley is a great place to backpack into..:) And yes approaching Rocky from the west has some thick spots.