Catskills... Eastern Devil's Path 10/07-08/2006

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin

Reaction score
If anyone is interested, I will be doing an overnighter on the Eastern end of the Devil's Path in the Catskills...

My plan is to head up Indianhead and head west over to Twin, and if feeling strong, over to Sugarloaf.

I plan to hit the trail by 8am-ish... I am up in the air about where to stay overnight, but I may backtrack to the Devil's Kitchen Leanto on Saturday night via Jimmy Dolan Notch, or just find a nice place below 3500ft to set up the tent. On Sunday it is up in the air, maybe an out and back to Overlook with a stop off at Echo Lake, or taking Jay-H's suggestion, and heading across Platte Clove Road and heading up to Kaaterskill High Peak with a stop off at Huckleberry Point.

If anyone is interested in coming along, all are welcome, I will be taking this hike pretty slowly, hence only a few peaks to be bagged. This will not be a trail run trying to finish the DP in a day, this will be more like a great stroll in the woods to enjoy the foliage change and some great Fall weather in the Cats.

Catch you all on the Trail...
Kevin

PS... Chip, keep a look out to the West, I'll give you a wave from the summit...LOL :D

There is an intetresting camping site at Jimmy Dolan Notch (between Indian Head and Twin) Its on top of some small cliffs with views to the south. Its a couple of hundred feet SW of the trail junction. I've never camped there, but discovered it while checking the for views from the notch. I'm not sure where the nearest water would be.

Kev, you could always do what I tried last week, especially if there's backtracking and 2 days of hiking involved ! :rolleyes:

Try to hike up or down the Pecoy Notch Trail at some point, between Sugarloaf and Twin. The trail ON the beaver dam and the old quarry there are pretty cool.

Chip... I have thought about it...I think there would be a road walk involved getting back to the car... It's not that bad of a road walk though...

Kev, a bike spot would work in that area, although it would b recommended a Mtn Bike spot as Elka Park road is a dirt road between Mink Hollow Road and east past the Roaring Kill trailhead.

Jay

Funny you should mention that... I did not end up on my hike for a variety of reasons, but spent part of Sat enjoying some nice road riding and Sunday was spent having a Fall picnic at Minneswaks and enjoying some mtb'ing there... the place as a mob scene, and not just hikers, but cyclists, there were more riders there yesterday then I have ever seen before there and I have been riding there many many years...

BTW, if the weather is good next weekend a bunch are thinking of doing another picnic/ride/hike day of anyone is interested....

Catch you later...
Kevin

There is a small site in Jimmy Dolan Notch, take the herd path north -- its starts right behind the trail sign -- and goes out to some very small stealth sites-- in fact they may not be legal due to proximity to the trail, FWIW. I've never used them but have seen them.

For water, you'll have to hike down the Jimmy Dolan Notch -- not sure how well the streams are flowing there now but usually after the trees stop taking up groundwater things improve.

Have a great time! Twin and Sugy are my two favorite hikes in the Catskills.

BTW, if you leave early and are a strong hiker you should be able to bag Indian Head, Twin and Sugarloaf in a day. I've stashed a bike in the woods at the Roaring Kill Trailhead several times and I've always found my bike undisturbed. The road ride back to Elka Park is about 3 miles, mostly downhill.

Sabrina

Last edited: