Catskills, Escarpment Trail 2/17 - 2/20

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warren

Reaction score
L: Portland, OR A: snowfield below Rainier
I'm planning on heading up to the Catskills and attempting the Escarpment Trail for the long weekend. I'll be arriving in Tannersville at 5 or 9 on Friday evening, grabbing a meal at the Last Chance and staying at Elm Ridge Lean to Fri. night. It'll be my first trip this winter after nursing a bum knee, whoever wants to come along is welcome.

Oh, and the time of this writing there's been no trail conditions posted for anywhere in the Catskills post snow storm, if anyone has any info or guesses....?

Hey Warren,
I posted a TR yesterday from a hike up Graham and Balsam Lake. New snow was about 3-5 inches with plenty of areas where it had blown in much larger drifts. This new snow lays on top of the old somewhat icy/crunchy base. No crampons (on these relatively easy peaks) but we used snowshoes to help with traction. If it were me, I'd bring both shoes and crampons :) . Have a great time :D .

Hey Warren, what time would you be leaving Elm Ridge on Saturday.. Depending on if I want to go XC Skiing which I might want to do, if not, I wouldn't mind joinging you. If I do, I would come up early saturday morning and meet ya at the leanto and park on Peck Rd. Not sure if I would just dayhike it or overnight it. How would you be getting back to the start?

Jay

I'd want to be on the trail by ten but it looks like I'll be arriving later rather earlier on Friday, so I may linger beyond that. If I know your coming, I can wait for you.

I won't be returning to the start, the bus back to the city is in Palenville. I'm bussing this one, the car is still on the mend. Should have mentioned that as it's an end to end.

Tmax,

Thanks for the feedback. I does seem as if it'll crampon and snowshoe for the weekend with the melt and the freeze.

I'll be in the Catskills and I'll be doing some of the Escarpment Trail this weekend, perhaps I'll run into you! Safe trip to you and I hope that knee of yours feels better! From what I'm hearing, there's not much snow in the 'skills right now. :( :(

Warren, I think I'm going to stay around Jersey this weekend, I think I'm going to finish up waterproofing my basement and might go explore the woods between me and the local grocery store. ;) I know there are mtb trails I can take between me and the grocery store so I can get there without going on the roads for the most part.

Jay

Yeah, I'm packing tonight while having thoughts about moving it to next weekend. Now that it's finally cold, I can't travel as light as I'd like to.

We should talk about a trip sometime in March. Maybe there will be snow.

I'm in the ADKs on Mar 18th, but yeah, I'm game for a backpack or so...

Next saturday, Aaron S (askus3) is doing a burrough's range traverse on saturday, you're welcome to join us... However, it's a day trip with no plans for sunday...as of now.

Warren, completely off topic, there's a paddlesport show going on down in Somerset, NJ sponsered by Jersey Paddler on Mar 24-26 weekend:

http://www.jerseypaddler.com/paddlesport/index.html

I know Carol and I are going just to check it out..

Jay