Catskills Hike Suggestions?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WalksWithBlackflies

Reaction score
I'm thinking of hiking in the Catskills this weekend. Problem is, my experience there is limited to a short jaunt to Kaaterskill Falls. I'm driving from Syracuse, so I'd rather not drive to the southern Catskills. I've got my Adk 46, so hitting the Catskill 4k'ers would be a bonus, but not necessary. Any suggestions?

The two Catskill 4Ks are not hard hikes on their shortest trails. Hunter is a 4.5 mile round trip, 2200' total elevation gain using the Becker Hollow trail. There is a nice view opposite the top of the Becker Hollow trail (short unmarked path), and from there it is a short hike on the Spruceton Trail to the fire tower at the summit. A step up rock at the southwestern edge of the tower clearing is the accepted summit, and has the 4040' elevation engraved in the rock.

Slide is a 5.5 mile round trip, 1800' climb from County Route 47 (south of State Route 28). There are viewpoints just before and after the summit. A return trip using the Curtis-Ormsbee trail adds about 1.1 mile on the return if you want a little variety and another viewpoint on the way out.

Other good peaks in the northern Catskills are the Blackhead Range, or one or two mountains on the Devil's Path (Westkill, Plateau, Sugarloaf, Twin, and Indian Head). Windham High Peak is also an easy short hike if you are pressed for time.

A couple of online references for Catskill Hikes:
  • Catskill Guide Click on one of the 7 sections. There are line maps and trail descriptions of almost all of the marked Catskill trails.
  • Local Hikes (Albany area) See the section "Hikes outside the metro area...", many of these are in the Catskills. There are topo maps, profiles, pictures of each hike (buttons on the left on the individual hike pages).
The best Catskill Trail maps (with trail descriptions on the back of each tyvek map) are published by the New York / New Jersey Trail Conference. The AMC Catskill Mountain Guide is the most up-to-date guide and also includes a paper trail map. You should be able to find them in many book or outdoor supply stores. Note the NYNJTC website has been up and down this morning, so the links may not be working when you try them, but they should resolve later.

In northern catskills, you could do Blackhead range (Blackhead, Black Dome, Thomas Cole and/or Windham).

Blackhead Range probably easiest to get too from your direction (all over 3900 & Black Dome higher than 4 of the ADK 4's)

Classic Catskill trip to Slide is from Woodland Valley including Wittenberg & Cornell also, it's a long day with option of backtracking or doing loop bringing you down to CR47 & a roadwalk back to trail that brings you back to Woodland Valley

Indian Head & Twin on Devils Path (Hunter is on/near D Path too) is a near classic - I have not been yet, it's very likely my next Catskill trip.

For a long day hike I prefer the loop which is Wittenberg, Cornell and Slide. Great scenery!! Its a difficult hike but plan to start early and you should have no problems. Round trip is 14 miles I believe. It took me approx. 12 hours but I was a few weeks pregnant :p

Enjoy!