Catskills - Overlook Mt., Echo Lake

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Artex

Reaction score
Does anyone know the exactly mileage to Overlook Mt. and also Echo Lake? I forget the trail's name I'm thinking of, but it's the one that starts next to the Buddhist Monastery (assuming it's still there). I seem to have misplaced my maps so I was hoping someone could answer. Thanks!

Mileages are from the 2005 edition of the ADK guidebook, Catskill Trails, all trails were remeasured for this edition. These mileages differ slightly from the trail signs which predate the new guidebook. The round trip to both Overlook Mt and Echo Lake from the Monastery is 8.8 miles.

Overlook Spur Trail (Yellow blazes, from Meads Mtn Rd, at the Buddhist Monastery):
1.9 mile to Jct with Overlook Trail (Blue blazes which will take you toward Echo Lake).
2.3 mile to summit of Overlook Mt and fire tower.

Overlook Trail (Blue blazes), from Jct with Overlook Spur Trail:
1.4 mile to Jct with Echo Lake Trail
In case you want to add some additional mileage:
2.8 mile to Cod Fish Point (0.1 mile unsigned spur trail on right to an old quarry and view)
3.5 mile to Devil's Kitchen lean-to
4.7 mile to its trailhead at the Platte Clove Preserve.

Echo Lake Trail (Yellow blazes), from Jct with Overlook Trail:
0.7 mile to Echo Lake lean-to (end of trail)

The continuation of the Overlook Trail is fairly level to Cod Fish Point. After which the blue Overlook Trail descends gently to the Devil's Kitchen Lean-to and Platte Clove Preserve.

The building across the way is under construction, don't know what into. Trail is almost handicap-accessible to the top, no snow as of Friday.

Met 2 guys at trailhead who had bushwhacked back from Echo Lake.

The new Karma Triyana Dharmachakra (KTD) Tibetan Buddhist Monastery was still a concrete shell when I last saw it this summer. Here is an architectural drawing:
newbuildingdraw_lg.jpg

And a link to the most recent construction photos.

The plans stirred some controversy because of its size and location next to forest preserve lands. Also among the objections was that the building dwarfed the historic chapel that is just a few yards from the lower slope of the new monastery. I am hopeful that it will be an attractive addition into the eclectic landscape of Woodstock.

So Mark, when's the gathering at the new Monastery then? :D I'll bring my devil horns... :p

I think the entire catskills as being eclectic, I mean with all the interesting characters and interesting locales mixed with wilderness and peaks...it's all weird.

Jay

bubba said:
I'm pausing to reflect on "eclectic" as used to discribe Woodstock (and surounding Catskill areas??) ...

hmmmmmmm... :confused:
Yes, I could have been more clear. The physical landscape around Woodstock is the uniform, sandstone, round, green hills characteristic of the entire Catskills.

I was referring to the varied architectural and human created landscape of Woodstock. As Jay mentions the wild and weirdness is innate to the all of the Catskills, but it perhaps reaches its apex in Woodstock. It is a blend of old and new, east and west, traditional and modern, refined and rustic, bold and easygoing. A little something for everyone, whatever their tastes. I have always considered Woodstock to be the quintessential eclectic town.

Jay, Maybe we could all be pilgrims for a weekend to have a gathering at the monastery. Horns are always in vogue on Overlook. There have been all sorts of wild and weird gatherings at the Magic Meadow. That meadow is not the one at the trailhead, but down toward Shady a bit on the north side of the road. It was owned by the Woodstock Guild for many years, but in 2003 it was acquired by the Open Space Institute. I believe it will be transferred to the state forest preserve. Camping is not permitted (too many complaints from the neighbors). The last I knew, there was no parking directly at the site. There had been talk of a trail, but the last I heard that was nixed.

Mark Schaefer said:
The new Karma Triyana Dharmachakra (KTD) Tibetan Buddhist Monastery was still a concrete shell when I last saw it this summer. Here is an architectural drawing:
[
And a link to the most recent construction photos.

The plans stirred some controversy because of its size and location next to forest preserve lands. Also among the objections was that the building dwarfed the historic chapel that is just a few yards from the lower slope of the new monastery. I am hopeful that it will be an attractive addition into the eclectic landscape of Woodstock.

Holy crap, the new one is huuuuuge! IMO, I guess I'd rather have that there than a Super Wal-Mart. :D

Thanks, Mark. Basically, I understood your point... was just having having difficulty with "eclectic" as a descriptive term for the Catskill region. However, I have not spent time in Woodstock, and imagine that it has an eclectic charm to it. My personal observations from several visits to the region are more inline with:
Mark Schaefer said:
...the wild and weirdness is innate to the all of the Catskills
no other place any place like it!!

Hey Bubba, you should make a pilgrimage then, just spend a day hanging out at the town square, you wont know who/what you'll run into!

Jay