Chafing

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redwood

Reaction score
Does anyone out there experience skin chafing following a long extended hike or just any hike at all? I wear all the current hi-tec wicking gear and try to change out of wet gear that is up against the skin as frequent as possible during a hike, but most of the time chafing is unavoidable and post hike is very uncomfortable. What do folks out there that have the same issue use as a preventitive measure, pre hike for trouble areas and what can be be used post hike? Any special creams, powders? medicines?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions....

Redwood, I once was a chafing sufferer so I started that whacky thread (it was obviously from the pre-ratings era! :D ) and I'll tell you what has banished chafing from my life:

1- Wash the target area with soap and water. Dry thoroughly.
2- Apply unscented antiperspirant liberally.
3- Apply over the counter Hydrocortisone cream.
4- Wear some sort of wicking boxer undergarment.

No kilts, bras or pantyhose!

I don't know if all the steps are absolutely necessary (one and four I'm sure of) but I'm so happy to be chafe-less that I aint about to start getting cute with the recipe.

Let us know how you fare.

Vasoline

Vasoline really works well. The advantage with vasoline is that it doesn't get washed off by sweat (oil-based) and if applied liberally, will greatly minimize friction that causes chafing. I apply once right before hiking, but carry vasoline in my bag. I know of others who also swear by it and also carry it as normal gear. Good luck.

Sugarloafer said:
I don't seem to have this problem hiking, but I get it a lot on long bike rides. I use Bag Balm and it seems to do the job . Also, know lots of riders who swear by Vaseline.
Check the ingredients--Bag Balm is mostly vaseline.

Doug

Sherpa John said:
BODY GLIDE and some kind of whicking underwear.

Amen brother.

I find the tigher the underwear the better too. I have a pair of lightweight MEC wicking boxer briefs but they ride up all day which is highly annonying. I've ditched them now for hiking and just use them for other sports.

Thinking of trying the body armor kind. The MEC midweights are perfect, but a little warm in summer.

-Shayne

Sport Slick works for me, when I remember to put it on. And as I discovered this past weekend, it actually helps get rid of the pain after the fact. It is available on the web at sportslick.com.

Body Glide

Body Glide works well and is also available at REI.
It is not vaseline based, and I am not sure how it works, but one application works fine for an entire day...I have gone over 11 hours with it and no issues. It also washes off a lot easier in the shower than petroleum based products.

Gold Bond Powder

I am a firm believer of Gold Bond Powder. I apply my inner thighs (this is where I seem to get chafed) before hiking and during. I have one of those small travel size Gold Bond Powder in my day pack with me at all times. I also apply once or twice on the trail......of course when there is nobody around :D

I am definately going to have to try Neils way or go with Vaseline. This way I should only have to apply post hike.

Good Luck!

Adam

The body glide stuff from REI doesn't work for me, it gets pasty and flaky but the anti-perspirant works about 95% of the time though I will say that it has failed in the past. I think the cheaper the anti-perspirant the BETTER it works. Tight spandex shorts underneath the hiking pants seems to do the trick best.

sli74

Redwood said:
Does anyone out there experience skin chafing following a long extended hike or just any hike at all? I wear all the current hi-tec wicking gear and try to change out of wet gear that is up against the skin as frequent as possible during a hike, but most of the time chafing is unavoidable and post hike is very uncomfortable. What do folks out there that have the same issue use as a preventitive measure, pre hike for trouble areas and what can be be used post hike? Any special creams, powders? medicines?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions....

Good old fashioned corn starch.

We've been here time and time again.
I love my kilt and I wear it for just this reason.
chafe free and manly worn
great breezes when I summit :) :) :)

attachment.php

Ouch!

I too use to suffer. Carmex does the trick for me. It has even worked well for me after I have gotten severely chaffed. There is some aspirin in the product which can reduce the swelling of a really bad chafe and when you put it on the menthol and camphor hurts sooo good!

I had this problem a while ago. I decided the best way to go was to buy a pair of spandex shorts ever since then I have not had this problem. Creams and gels mights work but they could wear off and who wants to put stuff there anyway while hiking. Spandex is the way to go.