Chemical Hand Warmers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike

Reaction score
For many years I have always purchased Grabbers chemical hand warmers. However, this year the Hot Hands brand has seemingly flooded the air activated hand warmer market. Comparing similar indicated heat times, does anyone prefer the performance of one brand over the other(s) and why? Thanks.

My experience is that Grabber uses a better quality pouch; I note a higher rate of "duds" (already reacted and hard in the pouch) with Hot Hands. If they are fresh, both work equivalently.

I buy Grabber on line; the big box lasts most of the season, and I always have them when I need them.

Chemical hand warmers are for warming one's hands. :D

They are indispensable for those of us with Raynaud's, after we have tried all manner of mitten-glove combos.

They WERE indispensable on a Denali trip and for skiing Vermont's Catamount Trail during last year's very cold conditions. Holding onto ski/hiking poles usually makes matters worse. From ~October to May there are always 3 or 4 sets in my pack.

To the OP... I have not really noticed a difference between brands.

I buy a box from the local hardware store...don't recall the name...I think they are Grabbers. EMS sells a brand called YakTrax which I recommend you don't buy. I bought a box for last winter and the pouches kept breaking and I ended up having charcoal in my mittens. When I went to EMS a couple of weeks ago, YakTrax was the only brand of chemical hand warmers they were selling. YakTrax should stick with making traction devices...and even the ones they make I don't use anymore. :eek:

I've always used Hot Hands, because that's the easiest to find. Never had a problem with them. For those that are always cold, they work great in a sleeping bag for a cozy nights sleep!

I expect some folks just have better circulation in winter than others. I use them on occasion and when I lead a meetup hike I bring extra. I see frequent use of them by folks who like to take a long break at a summit and chow down on a big lunch, many end up with very cold fingers a few minutes after starting up again as the blood supply has shifted from the extremities to the stomach. The hand warmers help a bit but usually just about they time they are up to full heat, we are hiking again and the fingers have warmed up.

I've never tried it, but can they be used inside a water bottle parka to keep the water from freezing?

I've never tried it, but can they be used inside a water bottle parka to keep the water from freezing?
They need oxygen to work (it's basically iron turning to rust that creates the heat) so you can't cut them off completely from fresh air. Some water bottle parkas are too air tight, but they should work for most of them. Maybe leave the zipper open just a bit.

They generate heat for several hours with oxygen available. I stick them in a freezer bag and seal them up tightly when I know there is still time on them.

I prefer a butane powered hand warmer. Like this http://www.rei.com/product/892408/zippo-12-hour-hand-warmer?cm_mmc=cse_PLA_BNG-_-8924080002&CAWELAID=120217890001129026&msid=PuXpCOmQ_dc|pcrid|10813456754|&mkwid=PuXpCOmQ_dc|pcrid|10813456754
Still have my original zippo from High School (45 years old and still warming). Of course there is the faint smell of butane to live with.
I don't know about any that burn butane (the one linked at REI burns liquid lighter fluid, not butane), but many years ago as a young lad I had good luck with the lighter fluid powered Jon-e brand. My dad used to set me out on a deer watch, and at first on those cold snowy days I froze, especially my feet, in the long hours sitting motionless there while he stayed warm walking making a deer drive. Then I discovered what a hand warmer could do. By placing one in my shirt pocket over my heart, it warmed my entire body, including my feet. It was amazing.

Last edited:

Actually, that is one of the reasons I carry them. They stay warm, usually for the duration of most hikes. There are those occasions though, where I've been on top of a mountain in subzero temps and needed to eat and I've used them to quickly rewarm my hands. I'm not sure why some people have an issue with them - something about not being prepared for the cold, but I figure to be prepared for anything, they are invaluable.

I buy a box from the local hardware store...don't recall the name...I think they are Grabbers. EMS sells a brand called YakTrax which I recommend you don't buy. I bought a box for last winter and the pouches kept breaking and I ended up having charcoal in my mittens. When I went to EMS a couple of weeks ago, YakTrax was the only brand of chemical hand warmers they were selling. YakTrax should stick with making traction devices...and even the ones they make I don't use anymore. :eek:

I agree, the Yaktrax warmers are next to worthless, EMS should be ashamed that they still carry them.

I did have 1 yaktrax pair break, but I used that brand all last Winter. I've had other brands break before as well. I might not use them 'correctly' either, I keep them right against my skin, and tend to fiddle with them.

I expect that the quality control on all of these hand warmers are pretty poor and that they tend to manufactured by many companies and packaged by one importer. One year I had some LL Bean certificates to burn and I bought a big box of their brand name version. They might have been an improvement but it wasn't anything significant. On the other hand I have gotten packages of "duds" in the past and when I hit them it usually worth chucking the whole batch. I don't think I have ever had one break.