Chester finishes the 48

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yellow dog

Reaction score
Most of you here probably don't know much about me because I don't post that often but have been a major lurker for the last couple of years. I feel like I know a lot about the people here because of how much you share on this site. I'm always amazed at the hikes that some of you do like the pemi loops and presidential traverses, and how knowledgeable and dedicated you are to this sport and how much you love it.

I thought I'd share a little about myself if anyone is interested. I finished the NH4K about 10 years ago when I was 20. After that I did a couple of hundred highest but soon lost my drive. I only did a few hikes over about 7-8 years. Then I got Chester, my yellow lab. We started going for walks in the woods and to the beach once in a while. Like most labs he couldn't get enough of running around outside so we started going on some short hikes. When doing these hikes I realized how much I loved and missed hiking and how much Chester loved going also.

Once I thought he was old enough to handle some longer hikes we did a few of the smaller 4K's closer to home like Whiteface and Passaconaway. It turned out that he did a lot better than me and I was the one that needed to get in shape. He did so well and had such a good time that we continued to go. When I had a day off from work, I normally would have found something else to do but all it would take is one look from Chester and I was getting my stuff together to go hiking. He really became my motivation to go. Since then we have been on trips to Vermont, up on the Presidentials, bushwacks to trailess HH peaks, etc. together.

This weekend we went on our most ambitious hike to do the last 4 NH4K's that Chester needed to finish the list. We made a 2 day loop starting from Lincoln Woods. On the first day we went across the Bonds, over to South Twin, down to Galehead Hut then continued down to the 13 Falls tentsite. This was only the third time backpacking and staying out on the trail. In the past all the peaks I hit were on dayhikes. The total mileage for the day was around 19 miles including some of the side trails we took. I felt pretty strong at the end of the day which surprised me considering the distance, weight of my pack and the heat. Being new to backpacking I was carrying a lot more then I needed. One thing I made sure to do during the day was to keep myself hydrated and I think that helped tremedously.

I'd never been down to 13 falls before. I knew there would be some nice falls there but what amazed me was the great swimming holes there also. Upon reaching the river I found about a 20' cliff to jump off of into a deep pool. All the sites were full by the time we checked out the campsite so we went down the trail and wandered off into the woods for about 20 minutes before finding a suitable spot to camp.

Overnight it rained some and never really cooled off so the humidity was way up there in the morning. All the trees and other vegetation was wet so after a short time on the trail we were completely soaked on our way to Owls Head. We were up and down from the peak rather quickly only stopping for a few pictures and a snack at the top. On the way out we tried to see how fast we could do the last 8 miles or so which we did in a little over 2hrs. I had to stop a couple times quickly to wring out my socks after falling in the river crossings and tromping through the mud puddles.

Overall it was a pretty exhausting trip but worth it. Chester was a pretty good boy throughout the hike although I would be good too if someone else was carrying all my food and a roof. He finished his NH4K's and I finished for the second time.

With Chester around there isn't a chance that I'll stop going again and look forward to going as soon as possible.

Wow! This is a really awesome and touching story! I hope that you post more often as I sincerely enjoyed reading your trip report! Give Chester my congratulations. I wish my cats could hike but none of the four seem very interested :cool:

-Dr. Wu

Great trip report and congrats to both you and Chester.

I envy you, I wish I could take my dog on some of my 4,000 footers but she's a 6 month old Gordon Setter and thus a bit on the loopy side. She's too young for me to trust off the leash and still too spastic to not get all tangled up around trees while on the leash so I've been sticking to shorter local hikes when she comes along.

Congratulations to you both!

I always think dogs deserve a double patch because all the running back and forth on the trails they do must at least double the distance of each hike :)

Bob

Awesome! That was one of the BEST reports I have read. Don;t be such a stranger!

SJ

Great report, and congratulations to you and Chester, woof woof. I hope you gave him some celabratory treats when it was over. Bet he loved the swimin holes as much as you.
My Golden Retriever (pic in avatar) is now 10 years old and not able to hike with me any longer :( . Enjoy the time in the mountains with your pet as much as you can.

Happy Trails

Last edited:
Happy way to start my day

Hey Yellow Dog!

Thanks for taking the time to post such a pleasant trip report. Makes me miss hiking with a dog. They make pretty darn good hiking partners for so many reasons. Keep hiking and hope to hear more trail reports of Chester's adventures in New England!

Congrats to you and Chester.. I hope my 1 year old Black Lab enjoys hiking with me as much as Chester enjoys his time with you.

Good job Chester!

I assume you know there are packs you can get for your dog, so he can carry his food ?

This post made me wonder if any dog completed the entire 115 list ?

Thanks for all the great comments! I'll try and respond to a few of them.

HikerBob- Now that I think about it Chester has probably done them 2 or 3 times by now. Sometimes he is his own worst enemy. He doesn't have a clue how to pace himself and can overdo it especially at the start of the hike.

Sticks - Must be pretty tough to leave the old dog home now. I don't want to think about leaving Chester home. It's kept me away from Baxter and those peaks.

SherpaKroto - We'll have to meet up another time soon.

Tom - There is one problem to completing the the other lists. Dogs aren't allowed in Baxter State Park so that keeps us off 3 or so 4K's and 6 total HH. Maybe we'll do all the other ones though.

Great read - enjoyed it. I'm the proud owner of a new puppy and have been thinking about when he'll be able to go along. He's an Airedale, and if he's like his predecessor(s) he'll be up for good times. I had him swimming last weekend at the cottage...

Okay, I can't not re-tell my story here... hiking with my previous Airedale, Sierra, with his own pack on, fellow hikers noted how cute and that he could carry his own food. My comment to them... "Food... hell, he's carrying my beer!" :D

Be less of a stranger here!! Bring yourself and Chester to a gathering!

Let me see if I can include an image (I'm a rookie at this):
myphotos

I got a pack for Chester and it lasted about two trips before it was ripped to shreds. He likes to hunt the squirrels and chipmunks along the trail so he's constantly in and out of the bushes and spruce. He also can't pass up any swamp, river, or mudpuddle on the way.

We keep doing longer and longer hikes so I don't want to stress him out with any extra weight either.

YellowDog, great story and great pooch you've got there.
My big mutt's the best friend and best hiking companion I've ever had -- and I've got some great friends and had some great hiking companions. Wish I'd gotten him started earlier, 'cause he really loves the woods and the trails and often seems even more eager than me to reach a mountain summit. I think our next High Peaks foray may be the last one for him, though -- he's getting "up" there a little -- and then I really dunno what I'll do. Hiking without him seems like a pointlessly lonely prospect. Savor those adventures with Chester!

Happy trails --
Uncle Butch