cleaning a sleeping bag

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cp2000

Reaction score
How goes it....

Need some advice for cleaning my sleeping bag. My male cat decided to rebel and left me a fun lil surprise. Should I machine wash and air dry?

If you use a machine, use only a front loader. A top loader is likely to destroy the bag.

You don't say what type of bag--down or synthetic...

I recently washed a down bag by the following method (should also work for synthetic):
1. Hand wash with down soap. When you pick the wet bag up (it can weigh 30-50lbs) cradle it from below. If you pick it up improperly, the weight of the wet down can rip out the internal baffles.
2. Place in top loading washer and use ONLY the rinse and spin-dry cycles. (I carefully placed the bag around the tub so the agitator never worked on the bag and the baffles were never stressed.) If you don't have access to a washer or spin-dryer, squeeze water out carefully.
3. Repeat 2 several times until all of the soap is out.
4. Dry by hanging on parallel lines to support it horizontally (like a hammock, or better yet, use a net hammock) and blowing air on it with a fan. Takes several days. Every few hours, use your fingers to break up the down clumps (down only).

Another method of drying is to place in a dryer at the LOWEST heat with some clean tennis balls (down only, to break up the down clumps.) Do not overheat--may be worth finishing by 4 above.

Dry cleaning must be done using the proper fluid. The most common cleaning fluids will destroy the loft of the down. (And many cleaners who claim to know how to clean down use the wrong fluids...) Air out the bag to remove fumes. Many (most?) experts disrecommend dry cleaning.

BTW, the smell of cat urine is very hard to remove. I have read of cleaning enzymes that can be used to do this. (Don't know any brands off hand, may be available at a pet supplies store.) I have no idea if these cleaners will damage the down. (Down is rather delicate--if you remove the oils in the down, you will reduce the loft. Wet down can also be damaged by rough handling.)

Doug

Last edited:
I've washed synthetic bags and down bags and down parkas in my washing machine at home (top loader). I didn't think about the agitator and the baffles, but everything came out just fine. I also put all of the above in the dryer. I put it on low and watch it carefully (especially the synthetic). I usually have to hang the down like Doug says because it doesn't dry all the way.

There’s an interview with Gary Schaezlein of Western Mountaineering available on a TrailCast podcast, which you can download from iTunes (and probably elsewhere). It’s TrailCast 17. Gary talks at length about cleaning down products. Very much worth the listen.

Thanks for the responses. Ill give it a go. It is a down bag so that was my big concern.

My recommendation is to use a front-loader for washing and drying.

Dry using LOW or NO heat, and throw some tennis balls in with the bag. Expect it to take a LONG time to dry. You may have to stop the dry a few times to get the balls out because they tend to go IN the bag and stay there.

EMS sells down detergent that is excellent. At $8 a bottle it better be good!

Be amazed how much warmer your bag will be when the wash/dry is complete.

-percious

Last edited: