Climbing wall info...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubba

Reaction score
In my new country digs away from the city I have limited access to much. One thing I missed was closeness to my health club.

But... turns out that the local college has a fine athletic facility that one can join as a community member (I just did). You can use the facilities (gym, pool, weights, indoor track, racketball, etc.) and even join intramural sports or clubs including fitness and recreation.

There is also a fairly large climbing wall. I'm looking for info about how to approach this... open daily and there is a climbing club.

First, I noticed that they must "rent" climbing shoes. Earlier in my life I did take a outdoor climbing course and have some experience. Just looking for some beta on how to approach the whole issue. If I attended solo, can I assume that I might find someone that will team up to belay, etc. Is that common... ? Do I need any special gear? Is there commonly accepted sport courtesy that I should know about?

You know... just looking for a heads up. ["stay away" is not an option!] ;)

There are three key pieces of gear that you need for indoor toproping (as opposed to bouldering, which I'll return to in a moment).

First, a harness. You could improvise this from some cord or webbing if you know what you're doing, but the gym staff might not be amused. There's no secret to choosing a harness; one is a lot like another, just find one that fits.

Second, a belay device. This assumes that you will find somebody else to climb with, and that they will trust you with their life if they fall. A lesson would not be a waste of money before using one of these (depending whether you remember your previous lesson).

Third, shoes. Though I frequently see gym rats wearing flip-flops climbing routes that make me sweat just to look at, good shoes can make a big difference. Shoes should be tight enough that your toes touch, but not painful even after you've been wearing them for a while.

Most gyms offer package deals, rental of all three above plus a lesson. They'll also offer package deals on purchase.

Some gyms won't let you onto the premises unless you can pass a belay test; others will let you boulder (ie, stay below a given height) or even climb (on a rope) but not belay others. Some gyms have auto-belay machines so you can climb without a partner.

Climbers are usually a friendly bunch. "Hey, do you want a belay?" is a common pick-up line. Note that a gentleman will not satisfy his own need for altitude without also providing a safe belay for his partner.

You could just show up and boulder, getting in some practice while you see who's around and also looking to climb. Your rented shoes and harness will provide warning to anyone considering you as a belay partner. You could also take a group lesson, which will provide you with an introduction to other beginners.

Bubba, have you been climbing recently? Have you taken a lesson or used an ATC to belay? (hip belays won't pass nowadays :D ) If no then...

Do they have anyone in charge of the wall? Ask them about lessons and take one if they have it. If not then get in touch with this climbing club they have. This will be the first step into climbing with a rope with others. Once you have the knowledge to "belay" other climbers, know the correct climber communication ("belay on", "climbing", "take", "belay off", etc), and other basics of climbing (ie. climbing technique) then you'll easily find folks to climb with... especially someone as shy as yourself ;)
Being a safe and knowledgeable partner is the first step to finding a climbing partner.

The gear is usually shoes, harness, belay device, carabiner. These can usually be rented until you're ready to take the plunge and get your own gear.

I wouldn't worry about the gear right now, I'd take the lesson first and they will cover what you need to climb at this particular gym - setups can vary wildly between gyms.

Get on that rock!

Last edited:
I'd recommend going with a friend who's also interested in learning how to climb. Just show up together and the regulars will show you what to do. The major rules of etiquette are to not step on the ropes and not to disturb other people who are climbing.

bubba, as mentioned, many walls have "bouldering" areas: low, outcropping areas you traverse over thick crash pads, not roped and belayed. This is a good place to hang out solo and get your strength and technique going. Other than that I'd join their club or take a couple lessons there. The required gear can be had pretty cheap on sale.

Thanks. Just the input I was looking for... I feel better already! Good reminders - I remember some lingo, but a review is best.

I'm on my way to go over there... I'll see what I can find out about instruction and the club. The wall is pretty cool - tall ceiling height but also a rather wide stretch, some with overhangs, etc.

cbcbd said:
Have you taken a lesson or used an ATC to belay? (hip belays won't pass nowadays )
shut up, boy!! :D

Chip said:
bubba, as mentioned, many walls have "bouldering" areas: low, outcropping areas you traverse over thick crash pads, not roped and belayed. This is a good place to hang out solo and get your strength and technique going. Other than that I'd join their club or take a couple lessons there. The required gear can be had pretty cheap on sale.
Oh, yeah... there are plenty of thick pads there!! I hate that reminder about having to build strength. Good thing I work out ;) ...but I do know that you really use different muscles hangin on rocks.

I'll see if I can get a picture of the wall in a day or two.

no disrespect intended, I obviously don't know your abilities. I should have referred to myself when indicating bouldering would get strength and technique going. anyway, yeah, climbing is different than regular exercise. my younger son has great flexibility and balance and is a bit of a natural. the best novice I've ever seen was my 15 year old niece who has been dancing for 10 years and was leaping up the walls bare foot. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Chip said:
no disrespect intended, I obviously don't know your abilities. I should have referred to myself when indicating bouldering would get strength and technique going. anyway, yeah, climbing is different than regular exercise. my younger son has great flexibility and balance and is a bit of a natural. the best novice I've ever seen was my 15 year old neice who has been dancing for 10 years and was leaping up the walls bare foot. :rolleyes:
Chip - absolutely none taken. It's my fear of heights that will have me on edge! :eek:

bubba said:
Oh, yeah... there are plenty of thick pads there!! I hate that reminder about having to build strength. Good thing I work out ;) ...but I do know that you really use different muscles hangin on rocks.

If you're just starting out climbing, I wouldn't worry too much about strength training. Unless you're climbing at a high level and/or doing a lot of overhanging routes, you should be climbing primarily with your LEGS. (Your hands/arms are used to grip and provide balance for you to move your feet upward, but you really won't be/shouldn't be pulling yourself up the wall with your arms.)

Which segues nicely into bouldering areas. I agree with Chip that the bouldering areas in gyms can be good places to work on technique, with two caveats:

1) Oftentimes the bouldering routes are set up for fairly advanced climbers, with a lot of overhangs and strength/techniqus moves required. This can lead to a frustrated beginner climber (known in the climbing lingo as a "n00b" or often "[explative] n00b"). If you can't climb the bouldering routes, that may not mean much, as they may or may not have any relation to what you would find on a beginner trad climb outdoors.

2) I would recommend NOT solo bouldering, but to find a partner instead. The partner can give you pointers (if they're more experienced) and, more importantly, can spot you while you're on the wall. Solo bouldering is a pretty easy way to twist/break and ankle.

I'm just sayin'... ;)

Let us know how you make out.