Cocoa gets in your eyes....Sandwich Mtn, 12/5

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby

Reaction score
Marty and I met up with LarryD at the Bennett St. parking lot and began our trip up to Sandwich Mountain. Marty and I hadn't hiked in a while and we did some catching up on the ride up, and on the hike. The Bennett St. Trail was in great shape, some mud and no snow. We all had traction with us, just in case.

Upon reaching the Bennett St./Gleason Trail lower junction, we decided on Gleason, reasoning that the steep climb up would be better than a steep climb down later in the day. The Gleason Trail was steep, and muddy in places.

We stopped for a break about a mile up the Gleason Trail, and things got interesting. I got my thermos out and had a cup of hot chocolate. I had the thermos under one arm and was holding the cup and cover in my hand. I decided that I should cover the thermos to keep the hot chocolate hot. Soooo, I held the cup between my teeth and went to put the cover on. That's when the cup slipped out of my teeth and upended, sending hot chocolate into my eyes and covering my face, finally coating my pack with hot chocolate :eek:.

Marty and Larry were great about it. After convulsing in laughter for several minutes, the got around to asking if I was alright. Laughing myself, I assured them that I was fine and we continued our hike. Naturally, they reminded me of the event for the rest of the day (and will continue to do so for all time.)

As we neared the upper junction with the Bennett St. Trail, traces of snow appeared. We turned onto the Bennett St. Trail for the final push to the summit and more snow and ice covered sections of the trail. We reached the summit with out traction and were treated to some nice views. The Presi's were visible, and we watched the clouds roll into Mt. Washington. It began to snow, so we packed up, put on our light traction and headed down. Save for one very graceful fall by Marty, the hike down was uneventful.

We descended on the Bennett St. Trail to the Flat Mountain Trail. Several of the stream crossings presented a challenge, but we got across them safely. We reached the parking lot, said goodbye to Larry, and Marty and I headed south in the snow.

It was nice to get out with Marty and Larry again. I was especially pleased to offer them some entertainment. For the historians out there, this all took place just about on the third anniversary of the Great Cocoa Incident of 2006 -
http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15133&highlight=cocoa+incident - Ironically, LarryD was also present for that one. I think we need a special VFTT commission to investigate!

Sandwich has become a favorite for me this year. 1 trip up SM/Drakes trail, 1 trip up Algonquin Trail (my new fav. Ridge) and 1 trip up Black Mt. Pond Trail. I have been pushing off the 2 trails you climbed...no pics?

I've always enjoyed that loop. I bet you pretty much had the trails to yourselves. A few years ago there was a rumor that the Bennett St Trail would no longer be maintained. Glad it isn't true.

Yes, I did notice that strange things happen when LarryD is around...

Marty and Larry were great about it. After convulsing in laughter for several minutes, the got around to asking if I was alright. Laughing myself, I assured them that I was fine and we continued our hike. Naturally, they reminded me of the event for the rest of the day (and will continue to do so for all time.)

We indeed had a very pleasant convulsation, at your expense. :p We were quite worried that we would have to play seeing eye dogs for you, helping you amble down some rough terrain, while temporarily blinded. :eek:;). Glad you had no serous damage and that you now have a sweet smelling pack.

I had a great time Saturday. Always awesome hiking with you and Larry. Hope we do it again soon.

Marty

P.S. Hikethesummits - we did not snap any pix for some reason. I seriously regret not snapping a shot of Bobby and his pack after the spill. That could have been my Avatar :rolleyes:

Always my pleasure to provide a few laughs!

Although I had my camera, I didn't take any pictures. I feel fortunate that video wasn't available for the cocoa drinking demonstration.

I've always enjoyed that loop. I bet you pretty much had the trails to yourselves. A few years ago there was a rumor that the Bennett St Trail would no longer be maintained. Glad it isn't true.

Yes, I did notice that strange things happen when LarryD is around...

1. Audrey, you are right. We did not see another human being all day.
2. I feel I should defend myself against this slander but you may have a point.

Nice report Bobby. Glad to hear you came through with no horrific cocoa-burn injuries!