coffee

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I keep a wire mesh filter cone in my pack in a ziplock bag and simply place it over my camp mug, fill with grinds and add hot (but not boiling) water.
I find that a coarse grind works best and I also use more grinds than I normally would (maybe four tablespoons for twelve ounces of water).

I use either Starbucks Italian Roast or Cafe Palou dark roast beans from Trader Joe's.

If its a cool weather overnighter I'll take along a small container of half and half, but for backpacking I'll use a couple tablespoons of nonfat dry milk.

I had a lexan french press but it died on winter backpack -- froze together and then in my caffeine-withdrawl induced frenzy I tried to pull it open instead of adding hot water and allowing it to thaw apart... :D otherwise, it worked pretty well but I think the wire cone filter works just fine and is lighter.

Periwinkle said:
Rick is right

I am framing this and making 1,000,000 copies for friends and relatives (Well OK, I only need 6 copies then).

In any event, Peri we spoke of this about 2 years ago and I think I was going to either send you my once (and really, really, really only once) used Cuppourri, or else bring it to a gethering for you. I still have it and it's your for the taking - Just PM me if you are interested.

So many methods here!
I love my mug french press which has a rubber bottom and a normal lid if you want to leave the press at home. There was one similar on this thread already. The stainless interior is very easy to clean since I use it often for coffee but use the press lid more for tea. It doesn't hold flavors much, which is great since i find myself switching between travel mugs for coffee and tea. For coffee I use a crappy yet classic percolator. mmmmm. When in the backcountry I defer to the folger's coffee bags, even though they come out a bit weak.
Starbucks makes me sad. :(

Rick said:
I am framing this and making 1,000,000 copies for friends and relatives

Spoken like a true guy. :D :D :D

Rick said:
In any event, Peri we spoke of this about 2 years ago and I think I was going to either send you my once (and really, really, really only once) used Cuppourri, or else bring it to a gethering for you. I still have it and it's your for the taking - Just PM me if you are interested.

Ah, it's all coming back to me now -- I knew this topic was familiar! Thanks for the offer, but at this point everyone I overnight with has their own now (I don't do well taking turns waiting for my morning Java) so I'll save you the postage. If we ever are at the same place at the same time, I'll take you up on the offer tho!

coffe sock and cafe bustello

i get these http://www.fantes.com/images/17630coffee_filters.jpg coffee socks at my local grocery store for two or three dollars.
i used them for years and then bought a diffuser at bodum (very similar to the msr one) which i now only use for tea.
i personally found that the sock makes the best/easiest trail coffee, just add grinds and pour, turn it inside out and shake/rinse to clean; then out to dry or in a ziplock. i used them at home for years before getting a bodum press.

Last edited:
KayakDan said:
Instant Decaf-hot water,creamer,sugar-done.
Hey,I thought this was backpackin!-you know-roughing it! :D
The trouble with these long threads is that nobody remembers the original question:
"...Often we just get away for a nite or 2 in the winter - find a lean-to within a mile of the truck and use that as base camp for dayhikes/ski trips.

Therefore, with weight not as much an issue, i am about ready to give up the coffee-in-a-tea-bag and find a way to actually prepare GOOD coffee."

I'm with ya Dan for backpacking, but if weight's no issue...

Espresso

I have one of these doohikeys that I'll occasionally bring with me for car camping (and occasionally backpacking, though it is heavy). It makes a fine cup of espresso. Add some hot, powdered milk, and it's pretty darn good.

I'd probably never have bought it on my own, but it was a gift. Turned out to be a great, useful present.

We've used the MSR Mugmate, too, and it makes a really good cup of coffee. My only concern is losing the top. I am going to add a sticker or colorful marker to remind me that it is not trash.

Since I use a jet boil, I bought the french press kit and like it a lot. The only downside is if I want more coffee after breakfast, I either have to make a double batch and pour it into a Nalgene or make a second batch. Having a press separate from the cooker fixes that.

Jim