Cokin Filter's

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghassert

Reaction score
Matawan, NJ Avatar:Harriman Stae Park, NY
Hi,

I've seen several references to the Cokin filter system on this forum.

I went to the B&H site and did a search on Cokin and was overwhelmed

From what I can tell, I would need to buy a filter holder for each lense size?

After that, would I now need to buy new rectangular filter to use the with the Cokin?

Thanks for any help.

Glenn

Ghassert:

I use a Cokin P system, and agree that it can be overwhelming at first, but will save $ in the long run. Let's attack the ?'s:

ghassert said:
From what I can tell, I would need to buy a filter holder for each lense size?
The nice thing about the filter systems are that you only have to buy one holder. I use a cokin P, and recommend the same for they have the most typical ring size. A's are a bit small, and ZPro are big and expensive. I think P goes up to 84 mm lenses.

Once you have the holder, you have to buy a ring for each lens that you have. The holder then becomes interchangeable on the ring.

ghassert said:
After that, would I now need to buy new rectangular filter to use the with the Cokin?

Yes, the Cokin holders only take Cokin filters, mostly square, but the Circular Polarizers also fit in there. The main filters needed for digital are Circular Polarizers, Neutral Density filters, and graduated Neutral Density Filters. A set of these for the Cokin P will help you tremendously.

However, I'm not the biggest fan of Cokin Filters themselves, as they aren't neutral, and tend to have a magenta cast to them. Most companies (lee, hitech, singhray) all make filters that fit into Cokin P sized holders, and I recommend the Hitech's myself for value and quality.

Hope that helps, and good luck with em!

As usual, Jim's info is spot on. I agree that the way to go is to get the Cokin P holder and rings, but do not get the Cokin ND or GND filters. The Cokin filters have a color cast and are not really neutral. Get better GND or ND filters that are sized to fit the Cokin P holder.

The Cokin color filters, such as the Graduated Tobacco filter, are ok since they are supposed to have a color cast. Be careful with them though, they can make some very unnatural looking shots.

- darren

Thanks...

Thanks for the very informative answers. It is all pretty clear to me now.

One more question, while doing some more research, it looks like using this will eliminate the use of the lens hood?

Thanks,

Glenn

Yes, you will not be able to use the lens hood. Watch out for flare. The big rectangular filter on the front will increase the risk of flare as well.

- darren

Lee Filter System?

When doing some searches on the Cokin filter system I came upon the Lee filter system .

It looks similar to the Cokin system and they also have filter sets. These sets are both Resin and Polyester. They also have hoods for them.

Does anyone have any experience with this setup? Good? Bad? Ugly?

Also, what is the difference between resin and polyester filters?

Thanks,

Glenn

I have a Canon Digital Rebel XT. I'm looking for a graduated neutral density filter system. The info above is very helpful, but then I go to BH Photo website and I'm overwhelmed with choices. So I need a little spoon-feeding to help narrow the choices. I'm just an amateur hack, but I do want something decent. Thanks.
What holder?
What ring(s)?
What filter(s)?
How many? Maybe a 1-stop and a 2-stop? Can they be stacked?

dvbl said:
I have a Canon Digital Rebel XT. I'm looking for a graduated neutral density filter system. The info above is very helpful, but then I go to BH Photo website and I'm overwhelmed with choices. So I need a little spoon-feeding to help narrow the choices. I'm just an amateur hack, but I do want something decent. Thanks.
What holder?
What ring(s)?
What filter(s)?
How many? Maybe a 1-stop and a 2-stop? Can they be stacked?

This is my reply to a similar thread:
I recently got the Cokin P holders for my Rebel XT lenses from B&H. I also bought the HiTech filters to avoid the color cast associated with the Cokin filters. Be careful ordering! You have to read the filter descriptions carefully, you are looking at the HiTech combination filters. They are GND with color tint (e.g. 81B, 81EF, etc.). The plain untinted GND filters are $39.95 each.