Colorado Trail and Continental Divide Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChacoTaco

Reaction score
We flew out to Denver on the 4th and were transported to the start of Segment 7 at Goldhill. We got started around 6pm and hiked up a gradual climb to just over 10,000 feet. We had a great view of Mt Evans and a good vantage point to check on the late day thunderstorms. We were in between Frisco and Breckenridge so the fireworks started on either side of us. We were deep in the woods so we only saw the sky light up. Anyway, the condition of this trail is very easy grade. Its a nice dirt path free of many rocks and roots, although there are some patches of that. The hardest thing for us was breathing. Acclimation took us 3 days. My wife got some acute sickness in Copper Mountain after we passed over 12,400+ feet. She had a headache that passed with some sleep and relaxation. We pulled up to a campsite along the river at Wheeler Flats, just outside of Copper. There was a festival going on so we wanted to get as far away as we could so my wife could get some rest without having to sleep at much elevation. We had been camping at higher elevations than we initially planned that early so it got tough. The next day, day 3 we were good to go. The views are amazing, the mountains are huge. I was amazed at how one small little cloud can explode into a thunderstorm. We heard lightening strike the boulders in the fields and could hear rocks falling after being hit. We had 2 days early on that were hazy from some of the smoke. ONce we got acclimated, we were doing 10 miles by 1:00. We met a lot of Thru's of the CT and CDT. Colorado is great and we plan to go back next year.
IMG_0094.jpg

Sounds like you and your wife had a great time. While I love the Whites, the scale of peaks in other ranges is enormous.

Sounds like you and your wife had a great time. While I love the Whites, the scale of peaks in other ranges is enormous.

I love the Whites as well. I have been here for 2 and a half years. With that said, there really is nothing I have ever seen that compares to The Rockies. My scope is small with this being the first time I have hiked west of the Mississippi. The AT is beautiful and the stuff up here is great, but Colorado......WOW

I'll second that. I moved out to Colorado last fall from the Adirondacks and when hiking in the 'dacks or the Whites and you gain the summit and look into the horizon, you can on a clear day seem a very large percentage of the higher mountains. Every single time I climb out here and look into the distance there are more mountains that you can count, and every time it is only a VERY small percentage of the mountains out here. It is an amazing feeling.

Very jealous, I hiked about 165 miles of the Colorado Trail around 2000. I can't wait to get back and try a thru. For a shorter option there is the new Collegiate Loop, 160 miles part on CT and I think part CDT that loops around the range. Other than Waterton Canyon which I thought was unimpressive, you can't go wrong on CT

We are talking about moving out there at some point in our lives. Maybe 5 years, maybe 10.

Yeah! Sounds like you had a great time! We dropped a hiker friend of ours off at Monarch Pass on July 2nd to hike Northbound on the CDT.........hmmm, I wonder if you guys crossed paths!! (knowing the CT and CDT split a few times) Just love the views in CO! If you go further West...........the Sierras arn't too bad either!