Colvin, Blake, Nippletop and Dial on April Fool's Day

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gail

Reaction score
Mimi and I set off for the Adirondacks at 4:40am after a short 3.5 hours of sleep on Saturday night!
We had a long day ahead of us, 29-30 km but felt great about it. We set out from the parking lot at St Huberts at 7:40am and met one man from Long Island New York who was setting out for Noonmark. The only other person we saw that day was the gatekeeper who sent us off with good wishes.
We took the Gill Brook trail and headed towards Colden. The sun was so bright and warm, what a beautiful spring day.
Colvin and Blake were a little icy but the trail was packed pretty hard so we were in crampons pretty much all day. We dropped our packs on the trail before we went up Blake to give ourselves a bit of a break, we knew it would be a long day but we were determined to make all the peaks.
Nippletop was tough but we made it although the .2 miles to the summit felt like much longer than that! All the ups and down to Dial were worth it for the view we had. The snow on the mountains made for a spectacular view. Then of course it started to rain and we put on our rain gear. We were fine, a little tried but happy to be there and proud to have made all the summits like we had set out to do.
The Noonmark shoulder was quite bare with a few patches of snow. The dark brown earth and different colored mosses made a very pretty picture!
We had a lot of time to think that day, almost 12 hours. I think we both did a lot of spring cleaning of our minds. A very kind man once told us that the mountains are so big and strong that you can go there full of troubles and they will draw out all your troubles and leave you with a fresh clear mind. Well, I guess he is right because I think we both felt somewhat changed by the end of this day. Many good days lie ahead of us. Life is good!
One big lesson I learned is about driving after a long day. I told Mimi I will never drive home so tried again. Driving as tired as I was is as bad as driving when drunk. I should have pulled over and rested. Luckily we made it home safe and sound at midnight. Long day but many many happy memories thanks to an amazing hiking partner and wonderful friend. Merci Mimi!

Hi Gail, Welcome to VFTT! Nice trip report, glad to hear you and Mimi made it back safe and sound after your long hike and challenging drive.

Good job Gail and Mimi. Sounds like a long day. Glad you made it back home safely.

You getting ready for the Whites???

una_dogger said:
Awesome!

If you two mountain women are ever hiking on weekdays in the Daks, give me a shout, puuulease! I'd love to join you.

Happy Hiking!

Sabrina
:)

Maybe I could tag along too? ;)

Awesome report Gail! Glad the weather and the snow conditions held up for you.
I think there should be a special taxi or bus service put on from Keene Valley to Montreal every Saturday and Sunday. They would come equipped with beds for all the weary hikers.

Glad you made it home without any accidents.

Last edited:
Excellent TR! Thats a tough hike you 2 did! I did it once, but in the opposite direction. You are right about being able to clear your mind on those long tough hikes. :) I once wrote a 6 page short story in my mind (later put in on paper) while doing a solo 29 mile spring hike a few years ago. Hiking not only cleanses the mind, it also cleanses the body and soul... Not a bad addiction we have now is it??? :D

hi Gail and Mimi!

Remember hiking with Suebiscuit and I at the winter gathering? Are you going to hiking during the summer or are you just winter ladies?

Mimi and I will hike throughout the year. We only met in October but have had some great adventures already! We will finish up Mimi's ADK 46 (24 more)and then we will work on the Catskills this summer. We are also planning a trip to Baxter State Park in July and probably find ourselves in the Whites some time. We are lucky to be able to get out a lot!
Thanks for all the nice comments about our trip! It was a great one!