Combi Boots

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puck

Reaction score
For some of you x country afficianados.

What do you guys think about combi boots for skate and and classic skiing like Fischer RC5?
I think it would be great to have a "one size fits all" but then again is it a "jack of all trades and master of none" scenerio?

do these boots adequately give the right support and function for both activities?

For some of you x country afficianados.

What do you guys think about combi boots for skate and and classic skiing like Fischer RC5?
I think it would be great to have a "one size fits all" but then again is it a "jack of all trades and master of none" scenerio?

do these boots adequately give the right support and function for both activities?

I have a pair of Salomon combi boots - they have a plastic ankle cuff which comes off for trad skiing (SNS bindings.) I also have a pair of Fischer skate boots (Salomon Pilot bindings) which are stiffer.

I prefer skating and thus prefer the skate-specific boots. However, I made do just fine for 8+ seasons on the combi boots - and I never used them for trad skiing because my trad skis have NNN2 binding on them. I got the setup I did on a clearance deal, and thought "Well, if I ever get a new pair of trad skis these will be nice."

With all such combination items, the jack-master adage holds true. However, they don't need to be a master if you're a casual user.

The usual advice (and it's usual for good reason) is rent or go on demo day before you buy.

Tim

Last edited:
However, they don't need to be a master if you're a casual user.

That's the best way to answer the question. If you're just dipping your toe in the skating pond, combi boots will be fine. If you want to really get into it, get a separate skate boot. Combi boots will also help your classic skiing by offering a little added support.

Combi boots are a good place to start, but after a season or two, you'll be making the jump.

Thanks guys,

Tim you should be in marketing...Jack Master would be a great product name;)

I understand the advice to try before you buy. However, some of the cross country areas don't carry a alrge invetory of rentals or demos. Last year I had gone to some in Western Mass and Southern Vermont.

That's the best way to answer the question. If you're just dipping your toe in the skating pond, combi boots will be fine. If you want to really get into it, get a separate skate boot. Combi boots will also help your classic skiing by offering a little added support.

Combi boots are a good place to start, but after a season or two, you'll be making the jump.

I consider myself an advanced recreational skate skier. I got into it for cross-training for bicycle racing mostly. After 6 seasons on the combi boots and entry-level racing skis, I upgraded to full skate boots and mid-range racing skis. They are definitely much better, faster, and more enjoyable. The old set has become my rock skis, and I still use them early (and late) in the year. I don't think the combi boots are really that limiting. I have been a Nordic season pass holder (Waterville) for many seasons now. The main improvement for me was the Pilot bindings over the SNS bindings - the ski comes up off the snow parallel to the boot bottom with less effort using the Pilot binding.

Tim