Coming to a trail near you - in the near future???? (Google Glasses)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike P.

Reaction score
from CNBC's article: http://www.cnbc.com/id/100479286

"the latest version of the glasses can provide walking and hiking directions from Google Maps, alerts from Google Now about a coming meeting or a traffic jam, and video chats from Google Hangouts."

I imagine they will run on some type of small battery, solar or something else but if you have to charge them, the new SAR call, my glasses ran out of power, can you give me directions to the nearest place I can plug them in, Why don't I have a signal in this ravine/notch, etc....

Good, bad, silly, other?

Good, read up on where you are, learn about new areas, the plants, the history, etc
Bad, (you don't need my help on this one)
Silly (just another way to be out in the real world & ignore your surroundings?)

Good for people who otherwise use their smartphones to read and navigate in the woods. Great for walking around the city.

Bad as batteries run out of power or the expensive glasses might get knocked off the faces of users as they stare at the display instead of watching where they step.
And maybe bad because of the extra rescues that are happening as a result of people without real maps, compass or other 'analog' hiking skills lose, break or otherwise can't get signal on their electronic device.

This could be powered with a propeller beanie hat, especially above tree line.

But seriously, I do like the tech. Not sure how useful it would be to me today, though. More to the point, I have a problem with the redundancy of a lot of these new devices--tablets, smartphones, computers. Do I need another device to interface the interwebs?

I just got around to using an app on my smartphone to control my cable box and TV. This is useful for those times when I'm too lazy to get up and get the actual remote--which is useful when I'm too lazy to go to the TV and adjust it, etc.

Call me when these glasses will allow me to scan, swipe and select items with my eyes and double click by blinking. :D

Last edited:
This could be powered with a propeller beanie hat, especially above tree line.

But seriously, I do like the tech. Not sure how useful it would be to me today, though. More to the point, I have a problem with the redundancy of a lot of these new devices--tablets, smartphones, computers. Do I need another device to interface the interwebs?

I just got around to using an app on my smartphone to control my cable box and TV. This is useful for those times when I'm too lazy to get up and get the actual remote--which is useful when I'm too lazy to go to the TV and adjust it, etc.

Call me when these glasses will allow me to scan, swipe and select items with my eyes and double click by blinking. :D

Would the beanie then be a personal mobile wind farm. That's another thread. :D

Would the beanie then be a personal mobile wind farm. That's another thread. :D

I'm picturing a large group with beanies/goggles on a rocky, windswept summit, navigating to their next waypoint and endangering the gray jays.

I'm picturing a large group with beanies/goggles on a rocky, windswept summit, navigating to their next waypoint and endangering the gray jays.

Nah, the grey jays are way smarter than to become entangled in beanie propeller props. Once more, as the large group with beanies/goggles would have been so distracted watching their heads-up displays, the grey jays would have torn open their packs and made off with all their food. :)

Mike