Condensation on camel-backs

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MEB

Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone ever have any issues with condensation on the camelbacks? I purchased a new day pack that came with one and I'm just wondering if I should worry about my stuff getting damp from condensation. The pack does have a compartment that it fits in but it seems kind of flimsy.

thanks
-MEB

I don't find I have any condensation problems if I don't cool the full bladder in a fridge before the hike. I fill the bladder and mix whatever powder I'm using the night before so I have a room temperature drink when I start hiking. Less condensation and easier to digest (at least for me).

JohnL

I put my hydration bladder into a plastic grocery bag, then into the hydration sleeve for two reasons: 1. to help contain possible leaks, 2. contain condensation. I haven't had condensation but neither have I used very cold liquid on a warm day.

Condensation can develop on the surface of any cold object if air temp and humidity are right. A camelback is no different from any other "water bottle."

Like JohnL, I've gotten very comfortable drinking water, etc., at room temp.

I have witnessed the case of the drinking hose not being properly screwed onto the bladder, and coming off during travel. That resulted in a real flood in the pack (not mine; a friend's). The rest of us in the party split our water for the hapless traveler, and also attached her various soaked pack items like jackets and sweaters to the outside of our packs to dry (it was summer, so things dried out pretty well in a few hours). I'd say that event is the biggest risk, and I'm always careful to double check that things are well assembled.

TCD

John S said:
Can you can you line your pack with a trash compactor bag and put the camelback outside of the bag?

Yes you can, plus I keep most things in ziplocks anyways.(One never knows when they're going to take an unexpected bath at a brook crossing :D )

I get some condensation from my half frozen water bladder, but my gear is always dry.

percious said:
You might also try using lightweight insulation for your camelback. Do an eBay search on "camelback cozy" and see what you get.

-percious

I would go with insulation as well. If you insulate the camepack you will not get any condensation at all. :cool: Plus it will stay colder longer.

Thanks so much for the suggestions... I do perfer my water at room temps so I'll see how that works before I check out the cozy idea. Definately, I will be double bagging it in something as well!

-MEB

One more option or a combination of some replies. Put you CB bladder in a plastic bag in its pouch and put your other stuff in a seperate trash bag or two and tie off the top with a twist tie.