Confirmed Wild Wolf killed in MA

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattl

Reaction score
Bummer that they killed it...

But one would hope / assume that where there's one, there are likely more, even if this fellow was way out at the edge of the home range.

DrewKnight said:
But one would hope / assume that where there's one, there are likely more, even if this fellow was way out at the edge of the home range.

Who knows...there have been incidents of single animals being 'let free in their wilderness' in this particular area, such as a mountain lion a few years ago. I think there's a thread about that here somewhere, in fact.

I spoke to my Wolf Ecology professor at Antioch yesterday (I'm going to Yellowstone next week with this Spring's class as an alumna) who is quoted in the article. She says she wouldn't be too surprised if this was a truly wild wolf, as their behavior and abilities fly in the face of what's expected all the time. More often than not, however, when she is called in, coyotes are what is found. Wolves do not weigh 50 pounds, ever, except when they are very young. In addition, our Eastern coyotes are a hybrid animal. Over 10 years ago it was confirmed that coyotes that are here are a mix of Red Wolf and Western coyote, so there is a lot of wolf in these animals.

That being said, what is known is that this dog in Shelburne is an Eastern Gray wolf. The question is, was it being kept as a pet and escaped, or did it make its way down the spine of the Green Mountains and down into Massachusetts.

What great news.

We lived in Alaska for years, saw lots of tracks and a few actual wolves. It's nice to have a bit of wildness creeping back into New England.

Get ready for the inevitable "oh my god, shoot 'em all before they eat the children" hysteria. Wolves are one of the most mythologized, mis-understood and emotionalized animals out there.

Thanks for the links/info! Years ago a park ranger in the Gaspe/Quebec told me they had both wolves and cougars from time to time in his area, so I'm sure some wander across the borders from time to time given the large range they can travel.

Maddy,
I was walking up the side of mt norwottuck last winter (the snowless one) with my dog molly when we came upon an 80 pound coyote. It looked at us, my dog went nuts and took off in to the woods. I am only guessing at the 80 pounds, My dog is just under 50 pounds and this thing had 6"+ in height and maybe a foot in length on her. I have also seen a substantially larger then molly "coyote" in the middle of rt 116 at 4 am. The wife and I both thought it looked more wolf then coyote like but talked out selves out of it

Lou

Similar Story

We were walking in the town forest in the town next to ours a few years back. As we came down the dirt road on the way back out of the woods, I froze in my tracks. There, crossing the road about a hundred feet in front of us was the biggest coyote I had ever seen. It's coat was beautiful as though it had just been groomed. I thought for a moment, this must be somebody's pet. He stared at us for a moment, then disappeared into the woods without a trace. I thought to myself, "That is the best fed and well groomed coyote in New Hampshire." Then I started thinking, trying to imprint what I had just seen. This was no coyote. It was easily as big as my neighbors German Shepherd. I would guess it had to weigh 75-90 lbs. It was 36-40 inches at the shoulder, and it's head was nearly as big as our 20lb dog.

We like to think it was a wolf, though we have no proof. We never told anyone. No one would believe us.

KDT

Too bad the wolf was not darted and removed instead of killed. Anyway, it's very exciting. They are amazing animals.

happy trails :)

FYI, in case any come across "interesting" tracks this winter --

An adult wolf track will generally be 4 1/2 inches or longer. The track of one of my German Shepherd Dogs (which weighed 86 fit pounds at the time) was markedly smaller than a wolf track in a side-by-side comparison.

Wolves, coyotes, and foxes will "generally" trot with one foot stepping almost exactly in the track left by another foot. This is called single tracking. Very few dogs will do this; most will "double track," in which the following foot comes down partly overlapping (or wholly alongside) the leading foot. (Collies are among the few breeds capable of single tracking.)

That wolf was killing sheep

forestgnome said:
Too bad the wolf was not darted and removed instead of killed. Anyway, it's very exciting. They are amazing animals.

I know the farmers who were losing their lambs and prize rams to that wolf. Sorry to those of you who put a wolf's life above a person's livelihood and the lives of his/her farm animals but if I am ever put in a similar position, and it now would seem possible sometime in the future, I will regrettably shoot to protect my animals as well.

bcskier said:
I know the farmers who were losing their lambs and prize rams to that wolf. Sorry to those of you who put a wolf's life above a person's livelihood and the lives of his/her farm animals but if I am ever put in a similar position, and it now would seem possible sometime in the future, I will regrettably shoot to protect my animals as well.

I suggested darting because I understand the loss of sheep. But many people love wolves and that doesn't mean they are shortsighted about adverse effects.

Analogize it to the current snow situation. Many people from further south, where snow isn't a problem, pray for more snow. But more snow is a real hardship and it's extremely dangerous to many people up here. I just saw yet another casualty: a big barn on a working farm in Chatham has collapsed. I didn't have the heart to go and ask if there were any horses or cows in there. Destruction of this barn is more devastating to this farmer than the farmer who lost a few sheep to the wolf.

By praying for more snow up north where some like to play in it, are snowlovers putting their entertainment above the livelihood of others? I don't see them as bad people.

A small wolf comeback is nowhere near as dangerous or burdensome to people as the "more snow!" for which many pray. That doesn't make fans of wolves or snow bad people. Conflicting interests is natural.

Last edited:
Disagree

forestgnome said:
Destruction of this barn is more devastating to this farmer than the farmer who lost a few sheep to the wolf.

I love your pictures but not the logic. No one else can judge the value of any loss better than the person experiencing it. The folks that lost the sheep are the ONLY ones with the right to make that decision.
I'm sure the people you refer to that pray for more snow would choose to forego that if they were asked to place a relative value on their fun vs. someones roof.
Sorry. I usually don't get into these discussions and I'll probably regret it.

Dont worry, I think the big storm Friday night and Saturday is going to be mostly rain, while that can give weight on roofs, it can melt the snow too. I gotta say..I might be getting ready for a bit of spring. -Mattl

Last edited:
As a follow up to Sardog - wolf tracks are shockingly huge. I can palm a basketball and wolf tracks in dirt are usually the same size as my full hand - heel to fingertip. In snow they are larger.

They are also surprising long legged. at least 50% more leg length than a husky. Some of the most famous "wolf" photos are actually huskies. A true wolf has such an elongated nose and close-set (predator) eyes that the difference is shocking once you notice it.

Most wolf sightings are well fed coyotes. I've seen some gorgeous and regal coyotes in my life but their leg proportion is much closer to what we are used to seeing in dogs. And although puffy with a winter coat, there is a smaller animal underneath. A wolf's height and fur coat will make it look like a 150# animal.

Kevin said:
We were walking in the town forest in the town next to ours a few years back. As we came down the dirt road on the way back out of the woods, I froze in my tracks. There, crossing the road about a hundred feet in front of us was the biggest coyote I had ever seen. It's coat was beautiful as though it had just been groomed. I thought for a moment, this must be somebody's pet. He stared at us for a moment, then disappeared into the woods without a trace. I thought to myself, "That is the best fed and well groomed coyote in New Hampshire." Then I started thinking, trying to imprint what I had just seen. This was no coyote. It was easily as big as my neighbors German Shepherd. I would guess it had to weigh 75-90 lbs. It was 36-40 inches at the shoulder, and it's head was nearly as big as our 20lb dog.

We like to think it was a wolf, though we have no proof. We never told anyone. No one would believe us.

KDT
I certainly don't doubt what you saw for a minute. In October of 2006 in Jefferson 6 of us saw what in no way could have been a coyote or just a loose dog. It was incredibly barrel chested, larger and thicker than a coyote, and did not have a long narrow snout. It was obviously hunting rodents with a trained skill that no domestic dog could who may have just broken its chain and was on the loose for the day.
Am I correct in the feeling that one of the unique features of growing up in NH (or even VT or ME)is the comfort zone you gain from being around animals that freak out most people? Nose to nose with a big bull moose while walking in thick fog to my bus stop, a bear sleeping in the sand under our porch on hot summer nights, and so on? We raised chickens in the middle of the woods, and mister man, every predator in creation was coming by. Coyotes, raccoons, weasels, hawks, and a great horned owl which flew in through a glass pane window of the coop one winter. My brother had to take him out with a bow, when the Game Warden came the next day he asked "Why didn't you reach in and grab him or shoo him out?" We held up his talons and said "You've got to be kidding me?" He's now on display in a natural life museum in the southern part of the state. My point is, there is inherent risk when predators exist near us, but it is what it is. I now live in a state where anything with pointy teeth is feared and, the feeling is, should be exterminated. As a result there are really no dominant predators at all. Is that right? Case in point, we run a janitorial business, and one late afternoon came in when the manager was leaving, she asked "Did we see IT?" she meant a fox that had been in the parking lot, which we saw often. She said they called animal control who they told her to stay away, its probably rabid. The fox looked stressed, but not ill. There was construction going on on a hillside nearby and I surmised it was being pushed out by all the work. I waited an extra hour and a quarter that night from inside watching the lot from a window, and lo and behold at dusk, I saw her again, this time carrying a kit, she did it three times, and it became evident she was being forced to relocate her den. For the sake of future generations I hope we never lose our touch with the natural arrangement, both human, prey, and predator. That would be a sad day.
I for one, and glad to see the return of the wolf, the cougar, and whatever else should be there naturally. The opposite seems the least desireable option. I know what its like to suffer the loss of livestock and have sympathy for those who do.(I also hunt, 1750's era blackpowder flintlock only). It certainly also causes a heightened sense of awareness when hiking, but again, it is what it is. I think of what life is like for some on other continents, like Africa, or a country like India, where there is an annual and larger loss of human and stock life, where you could be trampled by an elephant, eaten by a tiger or crocodile, or be bitten by a great and vast collection of snakes. Certainly the most chronic offenders are hunted out, yet there is also an acceptance of the order of things too, and we as humans fit in there as well, or at least, I hope that's the way to view it.

Chugach001 said:
As a follow up to Sardog - wolf tracks are shockingly huge. I can palm a basketball and wolf tracks in dirt are usually the same size as my full hand - heel to fingertip. In snow they are larger.

I can confirm that. In Alaska, we can across some tracks that were easily 8+" in diameter. It was shocking how big they were.

Respect, but don't fear

Fisher Cat said:
Am I correct in the feeling that one of the unique features of growing up in NH (or even VT or ME)is the comfort zone you gain from being around animals that freak out most people?

I for one, and glad to see the return of the wolf, the cougar, and whatever else should be there naturally.

I don't know if it's uniformly true, Fisher Cat, but your idea seems anecdotally supported. Certainly, seems a lot of people on VFTT are reasonably comfortable around so-called dangerous creatures, and I know that in my circle of friends in Waterville Valley, we are all thrilled to be living in close proximity and reasonable harmony with wildlife. We view a bear, moose, bobcat or coyote sighting with the same excitement and relish that some of my Boston-based friends take in a celebrity sighting. Actually, I figure that your average bear, bobcat or coyote is a whole lot less dangerous than, say, Britney driving with a snootful.

We're very careful with our kids to raise them to respect, but not fear, wildlife. Respect a bear, know its habits, don't do things that put you or the bear in harm's way -- but don't fear them. When we fear things, we call for their removal or eradication. I'm with you -- I am glad for the return of bigger and wilder creatures, and I hope to be viewing them from a respectful distance for a long time to come.

Maybe "comfort zone" isn't the exact phrase I was looking for, that may give the impression one may get closer to and/or take liberties they really shouldn't with wild animals. Perhaps its the uniqueness that is available to be closer to and have the opportunity to observe more frequently wildlife in their element, each with their tendencies and habits, that's what makes growing up in NE states a real plus. When we go home to NH and bring friends with us who have never been there before and they get their chance to see for the first time a moose, bear, coyote, wolf, etc. they admit its really great, and suddenly those animals become more a source of interest to them then before. If anything, they then grow to appreciate the great diversity of states like NH, VT, and ME.