Congrats to Tom and Atticus!!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinooktrail

Reaction score
Congratulations Tom & Atticus

MSPCA Angell announced that Tom Ryan (and his sidekick Atticus M. Finch) are the winners of their annual Human Hero Award. According to the MSPCA, “The Human Hero Award is presented to a person or persons who have made significant contribution advancing the well-being of animals or demonstrated bravery and compassion that saved the life of one or more animals.”

Tom & Atticus are getting their award for raising money for Angell Animal Medical Center this past winter when they hiked 66 peaks. This was after they hiked 81 peaks the winter before for the Jimmy Fund.

The Human Hero Award is one of four awards that will be given out at the MSPCA October Hall of Fame dinner held at the John F Kennedy Presidential Library. The other awards are for Animal Hero, Youth Hero and the Lifetime Achievement Award, which is going to singer Emmylou Harris for her work with shelter animals.

I would like to be the first to extend a heartfelt thank you to Tom and Atticus for their achievements, and also their additions to the trip reports and other comments here on VFTT.

Tom is the only person that I can say I TRULY met while hiking. First with my friend Maureen on Cannon. A few weeks later we ran into each other gearing up for Waumbek, and our two large groups passed each other most of the day and enjoyed the summit together. Then I saw him on my first real VFTT hike, up to Mt. Adams, but he as usual, was hiking duo with Atticus. We said hello in the parking lot, and had pleasantries on the summit. I mentioned at some point that I belonged to this great hiking web site (thanks Darren!) called VFTT, and told him he should look into it.

Well, a few months later, I got a pm from him, explaining that he had finished the 48, in one season, and just wanted to let me know. And that he hoped he had the right person. Well, he did, and we have been friends ever since.

I am so proud of him and Atticus for this achievement, he has done so much to improve the heath of animals, and bring awareness to the fact that animals are so important to some people, they are like our children.

I hope you will all join me in saying a HUGE CONGRATULATIONS to both Tom and Atticus for all of their many achievements.

I am fortunate to be able to call them both my friends.

I hope for many happy years together...

:)

I would like to offer hearty congrats Tom and Atticus, you both are very deserving of the honor and what you have done for your contributions for hiking and animals.

I've been a bit MIA, but want to pop out of the woodwork and say a HUGE congratulations to Tom, and of course Atticus, on this achievement. They both deserve the recognition for all they've done. Thank you, Tom!!

-katie

Thanks for posting, Chinooktrail. And, congrats to Atticus and Tom for receiving such a fine award. My suspicions are that they are not quite finished with such efforts. :)

Christine,

With your posts, and with those that have followed, I feel as if we have been honored for the second time in 24 hours. Thank you.

MSPCA Angell is a great organization. We became involved with them when Atticus went blind and blood tests pointed towards a thyroid problem. Because more than $9,000 was raised for this little dog's medical bills by our home and hiking communities, when he was given the green light to start hiking again I felt raising money for animals in need was only appropriate. We were helped, so we should help back. Not a hike goes by where I am not appreciative of his new eyes and his restored health.

And as is typically the case, when we give, we get so much more back.

Thanks for your kind words everyone.

Congrats to Tom & Atti!!!
You both deserve this you've worked hard.
Thanks so much for helping our animals at the shelter.

Congrats!!

Tom & Atticus!!! I enjoy reading all your adventure stories, and can't wait for your book..........Your writings are so enjoyable to read!

You have a remarkable friendship and hiking companion with Atticus. It's always a great pleasure bumping into you on hikes!

Hope to meet you again, soon on the trails!

Congrats!!!! Your energy and contributions to things that are close to your heart, show the kind of person that you are!!

Ive always thought if you do good things in life you will get good things back 2 fold. Tom and atticus certainally shine in that department and set the bar high for others. I wish you both well.

Congratulations to both of you. In addition to this let's add the special recognition you both received in the last edition of Steve Smith and Mike Dickerman's book THE 4000 FOOTERS OF THE WHITE MOUNTAINS. Tom and Atticus have been recognized for having climbed 81 4000 footers in the winter of 2006-2007. The only other dog to have climbed the winter 48 in one winter is Brutus. I especially appreciated your statement on your website Tom when you said: I find pleasure in something the authors point out: Brutus is a Newfoundland (around 160 lbs); and Atticus is a Miniature Schnauzer weighing 20 lbs. They pretty much cover both ends of the spectrum and further prove that all shapes and sizes can hike, even in winter. And that’s true of people and dogs.

I really agree with that statement Tom. It would seem that Steve Smith does too. Hopefully the rest of the 4000 footer committee can also grasp that conception of what a properly looked after dog is capable of doing. :cool: