Consider Your Booty Plundered!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pamola

Reaction score
So yesterday morning I read the post about the treasure hunt and was rather intrigued. Not by the treasure, but by the riddle. Any problem solving combined with peaks has got to pique my interest.

So I emailed the riddle to my hiking buddy (also one of VFTT's newest members under the handle of Greenleaf. Make him feel welcome) and we started to dissect it over gmail chat. We had it figured out in 20 minutes. I might as well throw out the thought/deductive process. I didn't think it was too hard and we over-analyzed it at first. Soon narrowed a few things down. The Cold and Wild rivers run on the east side of NH, near the Maine border (end of the world). The Baldfaces were definitely burnt off by a firey battle. Falcon is just a replacement for eagle. Bam. Eagle Crag. There were even a couple other hints in the Trail conditions post. It mentions the gem heart of the eagle, probably referring to emerald pool. Also the pictures simply gave it away. I had never been to the Baldfaces or the Crag, so it was still some fun.

Anyways, I took the day off before some rain and evening work this weekend to get some fresh air. Met at Greenleaf's place in N. Conway and we were on the trail by 2. Found the treasure by 4, but due to the 90+ degree heat and high humidity compounded with the time we scrapped the loop and headed back down. The trip down was nice and quick. Was lucky enough to collect some Chanterelles and Black Trumpet mushrooms for a meal sometime soon and took a heavenly plunge into Emerald Pool.

I won't divulge the contents of the treasure chest (save one) because I'll be hiding it again (at least most of it. some of this stuff is pretty sweet).
Thanks to Ol Boney Cheeks and The Pirate of the Seven Seas for adding a touch of adventure to the mountains.

The Booty!
IMG_1021.jpg

The Plunge!
IMG_1032.jpg

a few other pics:
http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/560053078CgrOZT

Last edited:
Thank you for the challenge

I've got to add my thanks to Ol Boney Cheeks and The Pirate of the Seven Seas as well. It was a fun riddle and a great hike, despite the heat and humidity.

If you're ever up on RT 113 in Maine, it's well worth the .7 hike into Emerald Pool for a dip. Bit chilly, but a beautiful spot.

Keep an eye out for a post with clues to the next hiding place of the booty...

-Greenleaf