Cooley Hill via Jericho Road Trail, 6/14/09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Feathered Hat

Reaction score
Trail: Jericho Road
Distance: 6.4 miles, out and back
Time: 2:40
Total elevation gain: 1,100 feet
No. of People Encountered: 0
Cell phone coverage: None until second summit of Cooley (see Notes & Comment), then up to three bars (AT&T).

Conditions: A few small mud pits, not unexpected after the week's rain. Otherwise, excellent conditions. Four small blowdowns, which I'll remove sometime over the next couple of weeks; three tilt-overs which can be easily walked under; and one large blowdown that'll require a chainsaw to remove but is easy to maneuver around.

Special equipment: Zillions of mosquitoes in the first mile or two, so bug juice is a must. I found ankle gaiters helpful in keeping mud and trail duff out of my socks and shoes.

Notes & Comment: This little-used trail (except, judging from all the tracks, by moose) offers a gentle but great little hike if you're in the mood to stretch your legs but don't have time for one of the big mountains. The route gains 600 feet elevation gradually over two miles, then is essentially flat for a half-mile or so, then climbs another 500 feet more steeply in a half-mile. At the summit of Cooley Hill is a ruin of an old fire tower -- and 100 yards beyond is a second summit of sorts, more meadowy than the forested first summit, and I got some cell coverage there via AT&T. About 100 yards below the first summit is a very short spur over to a viewpoint that opens to a terrific view of the Kinsmans, North and South.

Virtually the entire route is in broadleaf forest, so this hike is one to remember for fall. It would also be wonderful in winter on snowshoes or XC skis.

The easy-to-miss trailhead is on the west side of State Route 116, 9.4 miles south of the flashing-light junction in the center of Franconia. Adequate roadside parking available.

Note to those who hike with dogs: There's very little water on this route, just one very small stream about a mile in which may be unreliable in a dry spell.

Some photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/99682097@N00/sets/72157619688023781/

Steve B
The Feathered Hat
[email protected]

Last edited: