Cooperstown, area

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teejay

Reaction score
The Beautiful Finger Lakes; Avatar: 4 Hrs. up, 4
I'll be camping with my grandchildren and family near Cooperstown this weekend (Shadow Brook Campground north of C'town). Other than the area's must-sees including the Baseball Hall of Fame, does anyone have any hiking suggestions nearby suitable for an energetic 8 and 6 year-old and maybe a 3 year-old? BTW, I've got the trail map for Glimmerglass State Park.

teejay

I think they have some hitting cages for kids just outside of town. Pretty sure you can rent some kayaks or canoes in the area.
Might be some Ommegang Brewery tours with aspects that kids might enjoy.
A local bat manufacturing company might have tours.
The Farmer's Museum would have a lot of stuff going on that children of that age would enjoy.

Alan

Howe Caverns: do some hiking underground.

There's also a lot of really amazing roadside geology out there, with glacial valleys as evident as could be. Cherry Valley and the Cats are close. Also, parts of I-88 are in the uppermost reaches of the Chesapeake watershed; interesting terrain.

You're also not too far from Hadley Fire Tower and the southern DAKs.

Don't forget to stop in at Duanesburg and register for the shotgun raffle!

Make sure to spend a few hours driving through the radio desert of Central New York, especially on Route 20, and note the Cuba-style way-back cars (just less glamorous).

And stop in at Utica to see Depression-era depression still in full swing (except for the Matts brewery).

There also used to be a "Petrified Creatures Museum" out there, not sure if it's still there.

That's it.

Two other museums in Cooperstown are the Farmer's Museum, and NYSHA (NYS Historical Association) both featuring local folk art and history. They are on opposite sides of the West shore road about a mile north of town. There is also Natty Bumpo's Cave (on the east side of the lake, not quite as far north as Glimmerglass State Park.)

A deep and interesting ravine formed (IIRC) from the Canajoharie Creek which is just off Route 20 about 2 miles north of the town of Cherry Valley. You cannot see it from Rt 20, there is a dirt parking lot about 100' East of a tree line, follow a dirt path into the trees a few feet, and BONK there is a 100' cliff into a deep ravine. Do NOT go in the dark, there are no railings. I found a photo of the falls in the ravine in Panoramio that labels it "the tallest in New York." I am sceptical of the claim. I have not been there in 25 years.

Last edited:
The Catskill Scenic Trail is not that far away...and good for a bike ride with kids. You can pick up the start of it in Bloomville, I think...37 miles to the south of Cooperstown.

Ahh yes...Ommegang. :)
And don't forget the Cooperstown Brewery either...more/better, cheaper tastings :D

cider mill in fly creek.

as far as hikning, go up route 88 towards cobelskill were howe cavens is. Take route 30 south for 8 miles to middleburg. Vromans nose is a great hike for kids.

http://www.middleburgh.com/VROMANS NOSE PAGE.htm

You could also goto howe caverns the same day.

Yes, I second that...Vroman's Nose is a great hike for kids...overlooks the whole Schoharie Valley which is beautiful. Fossilized casts of worm burrows can even be found on top...if you're into that kinda thing ;) Just be careful with kids near the ledge.

And from what I've heard, Mine Kill State Park is supposed to be pretty cool too. A little bit further south on Rt. 30 from Vroman's Nose (about another 7 or 8 miles).

Last edited:
Cooperstown Area

In Oneonta, they have the Soccer Hall of Fame. Also All-Star village is hosting a tournament of LL aged kids from all over the country.

On my first drive between New Berlin & Utica I went by a few signs for State DEC locations including on Route 8 a place I thought was called Brookfield trail System which has 130 miles of mixed use trails. (horse, snowmobiles & hiking, not bike or ATV. (Some ATV for people with disabilities only, they have loading platforms)

http://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/8225.html

In the Utica area, they have Utica greens. A Steamed Escarole (spelling?) dish with many delicious items added.:D:D:D

Beers include Saranac & in some places Yungling

Last edited:
Herkimer diamond mining. I had my kids there when they were about that age, & they had a good time. The youngest found more crystals just by wandering around with her eyes close to the ground. The oldest found a lot by just picking up rocks & shaking them!