Coreys Road to trail #129 Seward Mt.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just spoke to a Ranger in the area and he relayed to me the following information:

1) The gate IS open.
2) There is snow in the higher elevations, but it's not that bad as they have not received a lot of snow this year. Snowshoes would not be needed. He recommends crampons, instep crampons. You wouldn't need the full blown kind.
3) There is probably some mud, however, this is the first year in a long time that they did not issue a mud advisory which requests people to stay off the trails and higher elevations until the end of May. With no snow and the frost clearing out quickly, mud is present but at a reduced level than typical for the area. The herd paths are pretty well shielded by trees and such and as a result ice also is not to be expected.
4) It's been a lot drier, not a lot of snow, not a lot of frost. The trails have been drying quickly. This makes for a more stable hiking environment. The lower elevations are really dry.
5) The black flies are out but they are not biting yet. But they will be biting soon.

Zer0-G said:
I heard from another source, for instance that descending the east side of Emmons to the northville-placid trail is a nightmare, littered with machinery old autos and such. Has anyone have anything to say about that?
Littered with is stretching it quite a bit. It is a nightmare because of the thisk spruce. You may find old corduroy road in the middle of nowhere. There were quite a few lumber camps in the area, and you can find bits of things here and there. The main camp is growing over quite a bit, and it won't be long before it'll be hard to tell where it was.

Elevation and sun exposure will dictate snow.
You might experience fairly deep snow higher up and on the northern slopes. It was waist deep or more and post-holey in spots above 3700' in the Sentinels 2 weeks ago. And that was on the eastern slopes.

Peakbagr said:
Elevation and sun exposure will dictate snow.
You might experience fairly deep snow higher up and on the northern slopes. It was waist deep or more and post-holey in spots above 3700' in the Sentinels 2 weeks ago. And that was on the eastern slopes.
I was soaking up the sun on Sawtooth 4 today and looking across at Seymour and Seward I could see lots (it looked like lots :)) of snow above roughly 3500 feet.