cotton kills? What to wear backpacking in the summer

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Polyester shirt and briefs, Coolmax or similar.
Coolmax liner socks, wool/nylon outer socks.
Patagonia baggie shorts.
Cotton bandanna. (I'll dip it in water and wear it on my head to stay cool.)

Once I get to a campsite, I'll wash and change into clean cotton T-shirt and gym shorts.

Precip jacket and pants as rainwear.
Capilene midweight long underwear if it's cold.

You can get most of this gear at EMS, Campmor, REI, or many other places.

Last edited:
It al depends on were I go and for how long. If I am going localy and short here in NJ then I will wear Cotton but if I head up to the Catskills or other higher elevation areas or I am going to be out all day then I like to wear my coolmax shirts. When you are out all day you never know what to expect. Even in NJ a hot summer day could turn rainy and cool by afternoon. A Wet cotton shirt is not comfortable, especially after a T-Storm on the ridges. Thats why if I am out all day the synthetics come out. Working for the park service I have seen many people come close to Hyperthrmia due to this situation. Why chance it, especially if out all day.

I am a believer in synthetics. Sure, the cotton feels good while you're hiking UP the mountain. But when you hit the summit, that wet cotton tshirt suddenly doesn't feel so comfortable anymore. I just don't like being wet, clammy and cold.

I have a hodge-podge of synthetic clothing---which I use interchangeably as much as possible for a variety of activities: hiking, running, biking, skiing, kayaking. For hiking, I generally go with a coolmax running shirt, and a pair of nylon shorts or zip-off pants. And I always carry a jacket for the summit, as well as a spare dry shirt.

Poly or coolmax on the trail is a must for me, since I definitely perspire and need the wicking. Particularly my back; when that pack comes off if it's cool out my back takes quite a chill.

But I carry a flannel shirt for the campsite. Mmmm, comfy.
:)

everybody's right

100% cotton dries too slowly and chilly-ly for me. It has never killed me, as far as I know, but it has made me shiver.

Polyester and other "wicking" fabrics I've tried enhance my natural aroma to the extent that I can't stand my own presence. And they're pricey, too.

I now wear 50/50 t-shirts I buy at AC Moore for three bucks and change. Actually, I just bought a half-dozen on sale there for 2.66 each.

On May 10 my friend and I had the privilege of meeting two young adults who were going to "climb the mountain." We met them on the Tuckerman Trail at approx. 2:30 pm and we were still well below treeline. They were wearing jeans and cotton T shirts and the woman was carrying a day pack.
We never saw them again. They were not seen by skiers in the bowl and they had never arrived at the Herman Hut. We assumed that they ascended via Lion's Head or that they followed the Huntington Ravine Trail or perhaps Raymond Path.
It was raining, windy, and we were wearing Goretex pants/down jackets/ski hats, overmitts.
We advised them not to proceed in those outfits but they seemed quite
determined to pursue their goal. They had never been to NH prior to this excursion and did not appear to know anything about specific trails, etc.
In fact they were both astounded that people were skiing and asked if we did "grass skiing" here in New England.
Several hours later we looked up at the peaks and they were shrouded in very black clouds.
I thought a lot about this and I vote for goretex, polypro and good warm gear for above treeline travel in any season. I would not have wanted to be anywhere on that trail in jeans and a cotton T shirt once the temperature dropped and the rains came. Prior to this rather sudden change in weather it had been a beautiful warm sunny day.
Whether "Dick and Jane " summitted in their cotton clothes will forever remain
a mystery. We did worry about them but there is not much one can do when people are very determined to go forth unprepared into danger. I was shivering at the mere thought of it but then again maybe I'm just a whimp!!!
Maddy

cotton kills

The temperature does not have to be below freezing. Most hypothermia deaths occur in water with temperatures over 60 degrees. While deaths on dry land due solely to hypothermia in above-freezing temperatures are uncommon, hypothermia impairs mental funtions, judgment and motor skills. It is a contributing factor in many injuries ranging from simple slips and falls to more serious, and in overdue hiker cases requiring search and rescue mobilization.

In hot weather, I may hike or paddle in a cotton t-shirt, but always carry, and usually wear, a synthetic such as Coolmax. For that matter, Thermax seems to work fine in warm weather, too.

The 65/35% blend work pants function pretty well outdoors. I prefer hiking in shorts, and like the nylon zip-off pants in case I want protection from especially bad bugs, or for bushwhacking.

For socks, synthetic liners and heavy wool socks.