Courtesy to hunters

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i know you weren't talking to me but no one said we have more of a right to the woods. if you read one of my previous post you will see that i said neither of us own the land. but i will guarinty you hunters pay far more for land use than hikers.

Holdstrong said:
I don't see how this is "sharing" - you were unable to hike.

We were not able to hike "that" hike - we were able to hike "another" hike. It was our choice not to hike "that" hike. We could of - we could have been wrong about where we thought the hikers might be headed, but just like when there is a dange of bad weather - we try to be flexable.

I don't know if a funny hunter-hiker story is in order at this point or not, but here goes. I was hiking in the hills of northern Italy in October and came across an old man dressed in regular clothes carrying a rifle. He started waving his arms wildly at me and saying something or other over and over, sounded like "catch your tory." My Italian wasn't good enough to get it. No tory redcoats in sight. He seemed very agitated, and he had a gun, so I thought this guy was really wacko and beat it. As it turns out he must have thought I was the wacko one. I beat it into a circle of hunters, about 20 of them, who were tightening the ring around a wild boar. The old man waving his arms was evidently trying to gesture a circle and that I was entering the kill zone. This was October and that's boar (singali) hunt time. Now I know what "cacciatore" (catch your tory) means, and it aint just that chicken dish on the menu.

Holdstrong said:
One group, hunters, because of the very nature of their "sport", are forcing other groups, like hikers, to yield the land to them during these time periods.... ....We have nothing to do with that. That is once again the nature of their "sport"

Holdstrong, We have chatted in the past of the NLP, either here or the ADK Forum, and I certainly don't want this to seem like folks are ganging, but I would like to just point out that when you refer to the word "Sport" it appears you don't consider hunting a sport. That's fine but the very nature of sports and sportsman-like conduct came from hunting and fishing over the past few centuries and even before in Europe. Until probably up to the mid 20th century, Everything else was just a game. Now games are called sports, but all those sportsmans clubs you see in or small towns, folks may be in there watching games on TV now, but they were formed from the sport of hunting and fishing.

BTW, I always wear blaze orange when on the trail (plus my Dana pumpkin orange Astralplane) but even in non0hunting seasons, I always carry a blaze orange bandanna. There may come a time when I need someone to see me.

Cheers :)

how do hunters spoil your hiking :rolleyes: no one said stay home dont hike. but let me ask this you are camped and you want some peace and quit do you want a bunch of rowdys camping next to you, no you dont or you see some people camped do you go right up and set up camp right next to them or do you move up trail alittle. or maybe you happen to be traveling at about same pce as another group do you make yourself a nusiance or maybe stop for a breack, or maybe speed up for a few so you can both enjoy your own experiance. in the same respect hunters would like the same courtisy. but i quess wearing orange for a few weeks a year, or maybe not hiking a particular area on occasions is to much an inconvenience (sp) i quess your view of sharing is whats mine is mine whats yours is mine. becuase the way it is hiking goes on year round hunting is a few weeks a year. :mad:

i have no problm with the seasons as set forth. my problm is with people like you who seem to think you own the woods. the only conncession you make during hunting season is wearing orange. as for aborted hikes he aborted his hike like he said becuase he didn't have orange and it didn't matter. i quess when the trail crosses a road you feel the cars should move out of your way becuase hey were hiking here.

how i make this leap is that your the one who brought up that hikers have to make concessions to hunters when in woods. you dont seem to like the fact that you may not be able to hike a certian spot becuase hunters may be in area or that you have to wear orange so you dont accidently get shot. let me ask you this another way. (by the way sorry if i seem to get alittle hot under the collar passionate about this subject). lets see you pull into trailhead of area you want to hike but there seems to be far more cars/people there than you want to hike around (i know i like the quit. there are many place i wont hike becuase of far to many people. Monadnoc for 1) do you hike the area or change plans. either way you are making a concession aren't you?

I'm not part of this "debate", only an observer, but I don't see how hikers are conceding anything. Other than they might have to wear a different color for a month to protect themselves. Now if the state closed some trails to hunting only, we might be onto something.

Lots of emotion here. This is another one of those topics that will always create a lively debate. I usually prefer to avoid conflicts such as this, but once in a while my "hot button" gets pushed. Personally, I avoid trips during hunting season, because there are too many ya-hoos who shoot at anything that moves, and I don't care to hear gunfire while I'm out enjoying nature. Maybe we just need a special heading for conversations about sports, dogs, snowmobiles, hunting, and cell phones!

Peakbagr said:
I'm not part of this "debate", only an observer, but I don't see how hikers are conceding anything. Other than they might have to wear a different color for a month to protect themselves. Now if the state closed some trails to hunting only, we might be onto something.
Peakbagr thats what i have been trying to say all along but obviously my communication skills leave alot to be desired.

Holdstrong said:
What I am saying is that currently we do NOT equally "share" the land during hunting season. Hikers are the ones making the concessions. I am ALSO fine with this, but I do resent it being portayed as some equal and mutual concession or relationship. It is not. Hikers do the yielding.

I don't agree with that statement. There are areas, such as Marcy Dam or Johns Brook Valley, where I would never hunt due to the fact that these areas have so many hikes in them that I wouldn't feel safe hunting there. The chance of hitting a hiker with a bullet intended for a deer. In this case, I as the hunter yield to the hiker.

AlG said:
Lots of emotion here. This is another one of those topics that will always create a lively debate. I usually prefer to avoid conflicts such as this, but once in a while my "hot button" gets pushed. Personally, I avoid trips during hunting season, because there are too many ya-hoos who shoot at anything that moves, and I don't care to hear gunfire while I'm out enjoying nature. Maybe we just need a special heading for conversations about sports, dogs, snowmobiles, hunting, and cell phones!
this is the one your talking about right. i would like to see the eviidence that supports this theory. becuase hunting accidents are dont to almost nothing and the ones that do happen are usually other hunters that are all decked out in camo.

Holdstrong said:
We are not sharing the land equally; by and large we are yielding to you.
(not that there is anything wrong with that ;))

Then what is your problem? You just said "not that there is anything wrong w/ that". Seems like you are just trying to get people all torqued up.

Last edited:
Peakbagr said:
Now if the state closed some trails to hunting only, we might be onto something.

Actually, I've always wondered if USFS tries to keep their roads in NH open to accomodate the beginning of rifle deer season here. With rifle deer season beginning Wednesday, Thursday a state holiday (Veteran's Day), this will be a blockbuster weekend.

I've found hunters to be an excellent resource in off trail conditions and routes (more so in the ADKs than say, the Catskills). Lots of local information learned over years, generally much more detailed and varied than you might get from a hiker.

Jay- I've seen Hunters on the Devils Path feeder trails, I imagine that it's not that uncommon, many of the feeder trails being old carriage roads.

Once again for the record, I generally stay out of hunting areas during season out of general courtesy and respect. So many places to go I just can't get myself worked up over a few weeks.

Also, I've met many more bone headed hikers than hunters.

ripple said:
Then what is your problem? You just said not that there is anything wrong w/ that. Seems like you are just trying to get people all torqued up.

Considering Holdstrong started out with this statement...

"Am I the only one who (admittedly on principle alone) resents the notion that hikers should have to wear "bright" colors during hunting season or avoid, or tread lightly, in certain areas? "

with added emphasis on the word resents, I would say you are correct sir.

Holdstrong said:
Every year the papers are jammed with stories of hunters accidentally shooting themselves, their hunting partners, dogs, other non-target animals, and yes... occasionally hikers or other people enjoying the woods.........................

I'd dispute that statement. As part of my job, I investigate ALL traumatic deaths in an area that is one of the LARGEST HUNTING AREAS in NY (The Southern Tier). Mind you this data is for FATALITIES ONLY. But deaths by gunshot in (legal) hunting situations are fairly uncommon. In order of frequency, it goes like this.

1) Accidential Discharge (self-inflicted)
2) Intentional Discharge (missed target)

Firearm deaths are pretty rare (on the order of 2-3 a year in this area) Statistically, hunters shoot themselves far more often then they shoot others, and the other is almost always other hunters. Since 1992, I could find only 1 occasion in which a person participating in an recreational activity (like hiking) was killed by a hunter (there were others, but they were deemed intentional homicides :eek: ) and this is out of literally hundreds of thousands of "hunting hours". The overwhelming danger for any hiking related situation is the dreaded myocardial infarction (heart attack) on the part of the hunter.

Bare in mind, these stats are for western NY only, but I'd be willing to bet that similar stats and occurances could be found in the ADKs or Catskills, which both have less hunters then western NY.

P.S. I'm not weighing in on either side, I'm just pointing out that it may seem that the above statement is true (because ANY incident would generate HUGE media attention), but in reality, it's probably NOT MUCH OF AN ISSUE AT ALL. Seems the both activities can peacefully co-exist together just fine.

Last edited:
I really don't mind working my hikes around hunting season. Also, I do not believe that all hunters are dangerous - just the few who get all the publicity. When I have ventured out during that season (I don't keep track of the dates from year to year), I must say that I don't see or hear them once I've gotten a few miles away from the trailhead. Let hunters have their sport. Winter is coming, and I'll be back out there at the end of December.

I'm thinking of designing a talking scope......it would say something like this "down, down, down (and when the hunter's big toe came into focus) "ok NOW, SHOOT!" Heck, I wouldn't even charge for it, I'd give it away to every hunter who purchased a hunting license. Nothing lethal here, just a few days off your feet to reflect on the pain and 'sport' of hunting.........