CR 2/2009 Issue Rates Handheld GPS

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waumbek

Reaction score
Avatar: "World's Windiest Place" Stamp (5/27/06)
The February 2009 issue of Consumer Reports rates seven GPS models and ranks them as follows:

1) Garmin Oregon 400t (overall score 73) $600
2) Garmin Colorado 400t (71) $600
3) Garmin Oregon 200 (61) $450
4) Magellan Triton 2000 (60) $500
5) Garmin GPSMap 60CSx (60) $400
6) Magellan Triton 500 (59) $250
7) Garmin eTrex Venture HC (58) $150

Ratings are based on guidance, geocaching, portability, display and "extras" as well as features (topo map, battery life, screen size). Scores are Ex, VG, G, F, P.

CR recommends the #3 and #7 Garmin models. They don't explain their choice of #3 (perhaps it's the relatively longer battery life of 13 hours and cheaper price than #1 and #2). #7 is praised as a basic no-frills model with "performance" matching that of the more expensive models.

They note that #5 has electronic compass and altimeter.

It's unclear to me what the "guidance" test includes--accuracy? ability to receive a signal in cover? Or is that "performance"? I would like to see different--or perhaps more specifically described--criteria used in their ratings.

I'd also like to know why CR recommends the Garmin Oregon 200 over the GPSMap 60CSx. They're only 1 point apart in overall rating, but $50 in price. The biggest difference is that the Oregon rates an "excellent" on geocaching, the 60CSx a "good." Neither includes topo maps.

Has anyone used the Garmin Oregon 200?

Last edited:
1) Garmin Oregon 400t (overall score 73) $600
2) Garmin Colorado 400t (71) $600
3) Garmin Oregon 200 (61) $450
4) Magellan Triton 2000 (60) $500
5) Garmin GPSMap 60CSx (60) $400
6) Magellan Triton 500 (59) $250
7) Garmin eTrex Venture HC (58) $150
CR has its opinions. The dominant opinion of the experts on sci.geo.satellite-nav (and I agree) is the Oregon and Colorado models have fewer useful features (for hiking) with trendy, but not better, interfaces than the 60/76Cx models. (I've seen a number of complaints about the Colorado interface.)

CR recommends the #3 and #7 Garmin models. They don't explain their choice of #3 (perhaps it's the relatively longer battery life of 13 hours and cheaper price than #1 and #2). #7 is praised as a basic no-frills model with "performance" matching that of the more expensive models.
CR always likes cheap. But a user with a specific use in mind should try to evaluate whether the extra features of a more expensive unit are worthwhile.

They note that #5 has electronic compass and altimeter.
So do some of the others...

It's unclear to me what the "guidance" test includes--accuracy? ability to receive a signal in cover? Or is that "performance"? While CR seems to agree with a general consensus among hikers that the eTrex is a good basic model, I would like to see different--or perhaps more specifically described--criteria used in their ratings.
The term guidance is ill-defined.

The eTrex Venture is the cheapest of the Garmin's high sensitivity hiking GPSes, but IMO the eTrex Vista HCx is a much better choice. (And, of course, IMO the 60CSx is still better...)

I saw the original CR article. IMO it might be of use to someone who does not know much about GPSes, but as one who does know something about GPSes I chose to ignore it.

Doug

My general impression is that CR is great for rating "standard consumer goods", such as cars and appliances, but does MUCH less well on more specialized stuff. I remember reading an article on hiking boots many years ago; I forget the specifics but felt that the reviewers were close to clueless.

I thought the Consumer Reports article was almost worthless. Didn't go into differences and reception (ability to hold satallite), and accuracy of the readings/waypoints.

I'd find it pretty hard to make a decision based on the information given in the article. I'd ask the hard questions about performance elsewhere.

CR always likes cheap. But a user with a specific use in mind should try to evaluate whether the extra features of a more expensive unit are worthwhile.

The eTrex Venture is the cheapest of the Garmin's high sensitivity hiking GPSes, but IMO the eTrex Vista HCx is a much better choice. (And, of course, IMO the 60CSx is still better...)

Doug
Thanx! I was concerned when I observed that my Vista was not even rated.

CR seems to focus on spendy items of late - look at the prices of some of those GPSR's. I cancelled my subscription years ago when about the only vehicles they reviewed were Volvos, Audis, and Lexus.

Personally, I think CR served a valuable function for a period of time, but there are now better review sources for some items, especially specialty items like a GPS. How many hikers can afford $500 or $600 for a GPS?

My general impression is that CR is great for rating "standard consumer goods", such as cars and appliances,

Yup, they've got a good article on the difference between top- and front-loading washers, nothing I ever knew, but not many hikers will be lugging either of those around.

Funny, though, when you do know something about something, the so-called experts--60 Minutes, CR, newpapers, etc--never get it right.

Yup, they've got a good article on the difference between top- and front-loading washers, nothing I ever knew, but not many hikers will be lugging either of those around.

Funny, last year I needed a washing machine and decided on a cheaper frontloader, even though it wasn't rated very highly in 2007 by CR. Got the 2008 maching machine issue and now the exact same model had better performance ratings and was now rated a best buy. Boy did I feel smart!:D

30 years ago when I was reading CR, most manufacturers had a relatively few items, that did not change much from year to year. Look up the number of camera models that Canon produces, it must be in the hundreds. How can anyone keep up with that. I find reading the reviews in Amazon.com is much more useful. You don't have to buy the item on Amazon to put in a review.

Whoopee

I must stayed at a Holiday Inn Express lately but I don't remember cause I bought a Garmin MAP 60csx yesterday for $250 on line. Last summer I watched Paradox use his 60csx on an AT Corridor Monitoring project and was pretty impressed.