Cranberry Lake - 2010 Paddling Season

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeT

Reaction score
Check out Paul Conklin's great early season Cranberry trip report:

http://www.paddling.net/message/showThread.html?fid=chat&tid=1269702

A report of my Saturday (April 10th) day paddle on Cranberry Lake follows:

Saturday’s internet weather report was for “snow mist”, air temps in the low 30’s and lots of wind. And by the time I arrived at the Cranberry Lake village swimming beach to put in, there appeared to be lots more wind. Played hide and seek with the wind gusts all the way down to the west end of Joe Indian Island.

Learned long ago that you can’t fight the wind. Hopefully using careful trip planning and terrain features, you can still have a good time on a windy day on Cranberry. And when wind gusts stop the boat dead; nothing to do but relax, sit tight and wait till that particular wind gust moves on.

Got back to the put-in in the early afternoon. The most exciting time of the day proved to be putting the boat back on my vehicle alone. I was struggling to get the first tie down strap secured, when I realized that I could just wait until the wind died down a bit. Must have presented puzzling sight to the cars driving by: an old person in a drysuit, standing atop a step stool, hugging a 16 ft kayak while gazing out on the lake.

After thirty plus years of messing around in boats on Cranberry Lake, I am still amazed at the lake’s capacity to surprise, reward and sometimes punish this old paddler.

As an aside, my best guess from previous year’s measurements is that current Cranberry water temps are still in the 30’s.

Mike

Last edited:
A lovely Day on the Water

This Sunday was a sunny, early November day at the Cranberry Lake Village swimming beach (sans swimmers) put-in. The summits of Bear, Hedgehog, Indian and Cat Mountains were covered with a fine coat of frozen “snow mist”. The air temps were in the low 30°F range - this paddler declined to test the water temps by unintended immersion.

An uneventful kayak paddle around Joe Indian Island, followed by an almost equally pleasant paddle back to the put-in into the brisk 1:00 pm (sun time) Cranberry Lake wind express – no matter what the forecast, you can almost always count on an afternoon wind on this lake!

Up here in the North Country, we’re in for, after a bout of freezing rain, sleet etc. a period of exceptionally sunny and warm weather - Wednesday through Saturday. Thursday I’ll get to be back on the water on Cranberry.

Mike

Good for you! Do to knee injuries I went paddling on Saturday here on Long Island. Went on the Lower Carmans River, nice 4 hr 7 mile paddle into some coves that you usually can't get into because of the tide. Used my trusty 12ft Pungo so I could stretch my legs. Most of us wore wetsuits, I wore my drysuit, it fits better ;) Air temps in low 40's, water temp app 57F...no emersion for me this time...hope to go out again this weekend. Have fun!