Crawfords at Dusk

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NeoAkela

Reaction score
Been doing a little experimenting with light and HDR processing. I'm still a bit of a beginner at this, but I was curious what anyone thought of my first attempt. Here is Crawfords as it was getting a bit late in the afternoon after my snowshoe up Avalon the other day.

Crawfords.jpg

I tend not to like the micro contrasts, gray skies, and halos of HDR, so I'm a biased viewer. I apologize in advance for my cynasism, but I just don't like the technology ...

This photo has some pretty wierd contrasts around the building, some differently toned snow throughout, some halos around the steeple, and skies that are darker than anything in the foreground.

So, in short...it's an HDR...if you were going for art...it's fantastic...if you were going to photograph a scene, it's a poor doccumentation...

Looks artificial to me.

Guess I'm just a naturalist at heart...

(I have nothing against post-processing pictures, but tend not like them if they are processed to the point that they don't look natural anymore.)

Doug

I wanna see the Polar Express pull up to the station.

Tim

Exactly what I was thinking! I prefer the natural photograph as well, but I do enjoy a multitude of art forms, so this is an interesting diversion from the norm for me.

I definitely appreciate the honest commentary, negative or otherwise... still trying to figure out what I think of it myself as it is more like an abstract painting than photography :)

I like it a lot, actually. It does remind me a little of the Polar Express, and maybe of a Disney movie with animation on color film..

The Crawford Station jumped out at me. Its great. It does tell a story. It says, "come over here, its warmer than out in the cold!"

grouseking

I like it. If possible I would try to make the upper and lower parts of the "yellow" on the building the same if possible.

I enjoy subtle use of HDR and the effects it can provide. It can mimic the use of a graduated neutral density filter (GND) and allow you to even the light between foreground and sky. However, just like GNDs, they can be over used and result in "fake" looking shots - reflections in lakes that are brighter than the actual sky they are reflecting etc. When HDR is over done there are tell tale signs like halo effects etc. Yes, it is indeed an artform, but just like other forms of art it is personal taste as to what direction to take and how far to go. For me, I like the subtle use of HDR to provide more detail in a scene, but when halo effects and other artifacts start dominating the scene it has been taken too far.

For my tastes, I think this picture has been over cooked. The initial impression is "wow, that is awesome" then a second later I get caught up in the halos around the tower and the mountains and the uneven color on the building. I then focus on these issues rather than on the image and it's subject. That is my take on it. I would like to see the same image a little less cooked. I think for me the wow factor would last longer.

My take on HDR is that when images are over cooked they have a big initial wow factor and then quickly lose interest once they are dismissed as "fake". A gallery of HDR images can have a big imact with the first few images, but then after a while it is "ok, I don't want to look at any more of these...they all just look equally fake".

That is where "art" comes in for me. Art to me is something that you do not grow tired of looking at. It is something that you want to go back and look at time and time again. An art form would be something where you can have a collection of similar style pieces of art and you can look at all of them without growing overwhelmed by the style vs. the subjects. But that is just me and I am certainly not a trained artist.

Aloha

- darren

ps: one other comment on the photo is that the left edge of the roof and the top of the tower are a little close to the edge of the picture. If you want to mat and frame the shot you could run into the problem of the matt touching the subject which will end up looking like a mistake. It is (a grumpy would say) good to crop the image down to the subject, but just be aware of framing requirements.

Last edited:
BTW, I have experimented with HDR a few times and I am interested in doing more experimentation. I would enjoy seeing other HDR work from people here and learning from other's experience.

Aloha

- darren

I am not bothered by the color / brightness difference above/below the roof. To me it simply appears that the underside of the roof has some light source which is entirely believable.

Tim