Crazy Northeast Mountain Hiking Adventure

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrazyDave

Reaction score
I had this crazy idea to Climb to the Summit of all (7) of NH's Official Mountains with an elevation of 5,000 feet or greater in a single day. But I want to do even more than that. I wanted it to be a multi-day event. So what I finailly decided on. Was to Climb all the official 5,000 foot Mountains in New Hampshires - White Mountains, and the (2) official 5,000 footers New Yorks - Adirondack Mountains, as well as Vermonts High point all to be done on the 4th of July weekend. So I wrote up my plans and emailed the plans to all the stronger Hikers that I know in CT, as well as posting my plans on veiwsfromthetop.com so I can find someone to do this with me. If I didn't find anyone, I wasn't going to do it.

So I got a email from someone about 3 weeks ago that goes by the Trail Name; MountainGirl. And she says, I think this is a really great idea that you have. I want to do it with you. I emailed her back, this is very extreme Hiking. What have you done in the Mountains already. And she says; I climbed this one, and that one, and did this, and did that. So I said, okay you have plenty of experience in the Mountains. So now we have a guy and a girl that have never met each other, spending the 4th of July weekend together to climb all the biggest Mountains in 3 different Sates.

Here's how it went:

Day one; Saturday, July 2nd to climb to the Summit of all the official 5,000 footers in NH. So I meet up with this girl on Friday. And we follow each other to the White Mountains. We spot her car on Rte 2, a Trail Head called; Appalachia. Then we drive to the Lafayette Campground and set up Camp. We go to sleep at 8:00 PM since we will be getting up at Midnight to begin our big day. The alarm on my wrist watch goes off at 12:00 Midnight and I wake up MountainGirl. It's a very light rain, and a very dark night. We get dressed, gear up, and by 12:30 AM we begin our trek up the Falling Waters Trail. We reach the Franconia Ridge at 3:15 AM. The fog is so thick you can cut it with a knife, and there's a very cold wind. Even with our Headlamps we can only see 2 feet infront of us. So we head several hundred feet down the Falling Waters Trail, to get protection from the wind. We stay in this safe spot until 4:30 AM. Now the daylight has broke, and we can do the ridge. When we reach the Summit of Mt Lincoln. We notice there are 2 Hikers laying under a large rock. They got cought on the ridge in this dense fog on the previous night, and slept under the rock until day break. They were okay-it's 5:28 AM and we bagged our first 5,000 footer of the day. We continue onward and we reach the Summit of Mt Lafayette at 6:25 AM. We now have our second 5,000 footer in the bag. But there's a 2 man tent set up at the Summit. We thought that this was odd, but pressed onward. Now we're about 1/4 mile down the Old Bridle Path Trail, and there's a Hiker sleeping on the Trail. We ask are you alright? He says: "no I'm not! We got cought in the dense fog up on the ridge last night. I left my 2 Hiking partners on the ridge to set up the tent, and get protect from the cold wild. While I was suppose to make it to the Greenleaf Hut to get help. But I fell somewhere a little ways back, and lost my glasses, and broke my GPS. What trail am I on, is the Greenleaf Hut anywhere around here. "We said, " yes you are close, your on the OBP. We walked him down to the Hut, and carried some of his gear for him. We told him that his 2 friends were in a tent at the Lafayette Summit. Some Hikers heading up the OBP were going to let the 2 in the tent know that their friend is in the Greenleaf Hut. We head all the way down the Mountain. At 8:20 the Franconia Ridge Loop Hike is done. We Broke Camp loaded up my car and drove to the Trail Head on Base Road. We begin at 10:00 AM Hiking up the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail to bag the other (5) 5,000 foot Mountains. This Trail is beautiful with lots of Waterfalls. We reach the end of the Trail and take the Monroe Loop Trail to the Summit of Monroe. The winds were very stronge at the Summit, about 45 MPH. It's 1:45 PM and we bagged our third 5,000 footer. Now we Hike down to "lake in the Clouds" for a break, and refill our water. And it's off to the Summit of Washington. We reach the Summit of Mt Washington at 3:10 PM. Our forth 5,000 footer in the bag. We use the restrooms take a break and we're off again. As we're heading down the Summit of Washington along the Gulfside Trail. MountainGirl is complaining about all the pollution that the COG is putting out. She says what's wronge with them, don't they know that we have to breed this air. So I take some pictures showing all the smoke that the COG puts out. It seemed like it was taken forever to reach the Summit of Mt Jefferson, but at 5:50 PM we reached the Summit. 5,000 footer # 5 is in the bag. We ran into 2 Hikers at the Summit that were very run down. They wanted to know how to get to the closest Hut, or off the Mountain. Whichever would be easier. We told them to go Northbound on the Gulfside Trail and they will eventually reach the Madison Hut. We continued onward. As we got close to Mt Adams some really bad weather came it. A slue of Black Clouds, and winds of 55 to 60 MPH. We made the Adams summit in these conditions but, made an agreement that if the wind dosen't setting down, we will have to not do Madison. We continued Hiking and the weather was clearing up. The Madison Hut is right in front of us. It's about 8:00 PM and I said to MountainGirl. Do you think we will be able to do Madison. She said, yes we can bag Madison. I was only 200 feet from the Summit and the sun we setting. So I turned around and got a great photo of Sunset. We reached the 7th and final official 5,000 footer at 8:45 PM, and the winds at the Summit were really stronge. We have been Hiking for 21 hours so far. We took a quick Photo and headed down to the Madison Hut for a long break. They gave us Hot Cocoa and Hot Soup. And BOY was that good. We stayed at the Hut until 10:00 PM. While we were at the Hut we asked if 2 young Hikers came here pretty run down. We told them about the couple we meet at the Summit of Jefferson. Then we Hiked the Valley Way Trail down the Mountain. It was a long trek, we didn't reach MountainGirls car until 1:30 AM. We stayed in Gorham for the night. This was the toughest one day Hike I had ever done. And there is still 2 days of Hiking to go.

Day 2 - Sunday, July 3rd We are a liitle slow getting up this morning. After we get washed up we go to a restaurant in Gorham for breakfast. We set down eat and talk about the next part of our Adventure. As we leave the restaurant this really, and I mean really BIG SMILE shows up on MountainGirls face. And she says: "You Know we reached our goal yesterday, and we did it in really bad condition. And we didn't even have a support team. I guess that means we are really tough." And I said: "Yes MountainGirl you are very tough, I am very impressed with you." Now we drove to the Ammonoosuc Revine Trail Head to pick up my car. And from here we follow each other to Stowe, VT to climb MT Mansfield. We park our cars on Route 108 at 2:00 PM and Hike on the Long Trail to the Summit of MT. Mansfield - Vermonts High Point and our smallest Mountain of the event. We ran into my friend Beth from CT while on this Hike. Beth was going to do the Mansfield Hike with us. But because our cell phones weren't getting any service. We weren't able to call her and give her a time that we'd be there. So she was on her way down the Mountain as we were heading up it. We reached the summit around 4:00 PM and MountainGirl loved the views of Lake Champlain. We talked with the Ranger at the Summit and had her take our picture. Then we headed down the Mountain. We have a 3 hour drive to the loj Adirondack Campground. We will stop along the way for gas, food, and restrooms. From Route 73 in the Lake Placid area it was really hard to find the loj Adirondack Road that the Campground is on. We finally pulled into our Campsite - Site # 9 at 11:30 PM. To tired to set up tents. We each slept in our own cars.

Day 3 - Monday, July 4th I knocked on MountainGirls car window and said, "it's 6:00 AM time to get up. She was a little slow getting ready. But by 8:00 AM we were on the Trail. She said why are we doing Mt Haystack. This event is about bagging all the 5,000 footers. Haystack isn't a 5,000 footer. So why do we needed it? I said, well because someone told me that doing Marcy and Algonquin in the same day would be really tough. So that's what made me decide to add Haystack to the list. We starting Hiking along the Van Hoevenberg Trail then picked up the Algonquin Peak Trail. We ran into a couple on our way up Mt Algonquin and asked then how this Trail we are on would be going down the other side of Algonquin. He said, when did you 2 get out here. I said, "we started Hiking here this morning." He said, it's really steep going down the other side. But you 2 should be able to do it since your fresh" Oh my God!! If he had any clue of what we had already done. We reach the Summit of Algonquin around 11:15 AM or so. MountainGirl started looking over our Trail Map, and asked the Ranger what the best route would be to climb Mt Haystack next. The Ranger said, "Haystack? That's way out there in the area where Marcy is. You don't want to do that. I've never heard of anyone day Hiking Algonquin and Marcy or Haystack in the same day. Let me show you a lot of other Hikes you can do that are really nice. And much easier. From Algonquin those other to Mountains are much to long of a trek to reach." Anyhow, we ended up decide okay we don't really need Haystack. But we will do Marcy, and that will give us all the 5,000 footers. We started heading down Algonquin, Hiked by Lake Golden which was very nice. We Hiked the Calamity Brook Trail and it was a long Trek to the South Side of Mt Marcy. But lots of little waterfalls along the way. When we reached the sign that said, 0.9 miles to Mt Marcy Summit we took a long break. This 0.9 miles was very steep. But we finally reached the Summit of Mt. Marcy at 5:40 PM. We had the entire Summit to ourselves. It was Awesome!!! I looked at MountainGirl and that Huge Smile showed up on her face again. She said, we did it! We bagged all the official (9) 5,000 foot Mountains in NH and NY. And we even got the VT High point in. Isn't that something. We did all that in a single weekend. Wow aren't we something Mountaingirl said. Then MountainGirl said, that guy that said he will kiss your feet if you to this. Are you going to hold him to it. I said, we'll his comment was based on us also doing Haystack, which we did not do. I said, maybe you should ask him to kiss your feet. She said, no I have nice feet. He might enjoy kissing them. Anyhow, we Hiked down the Mountain at a pretty good clip. Wanting to reach Marcy Dam before dark. We got to Marcy Dam around 9:00 PM. Took a long break on the Dam. And reflected on what we had just accomplished. We then put on our Headlamps and Hiked out to the loj Campground. MountainGirl was a real pleasure to Hike with. She has a great sense of humor, she's not a super fast Hiker. But she can Hike endless miles, with endless amounts of elevation gain. I'm so glad that she contacted me to do this event with me. I feel like I got spoiled by spending my entire 4th of July weekend with MountainGirl doing this Crazy thing. Oh, and by th way. I lost 12 pounds doing this event.

I'll post my Photo's as soon as I have a chance. Hopefully tonight or tomorrow.

Last edited:
I absolutely loved your trip report!!

Dear Crazy Dave and Mountain Girl!!

You both have such an incredible sense of adventure and the report was the best I've ever read. Please don't stop here.

Looking forward to your next trek and report,

Inge :)

Like the title of that book by the Watermans-"A Fine Kind of Madness."
That TR is one of the best to ever grace VFTT. I too was camped @ the Adirondack Loj on Sunday PM and I also did Algonquin on Monday. I was probably on my way over Boundary to Iroquois when you were on Algonquin-maybe you were the little tiny people I could see over there.The summit steward on Algonquin was a really nice kid-I can visualize her warning you off Marcy and Haystack and you two maniacs saying "Oh, alright, we'll only do Marcy." Hilarious. :D

Matt

Crazy Dave:

Loved the trip report! "Mountain Girl" told me about this hike when we did the Presidentials a few weeks ago and I'd been wondering all weekend how it went! Sounds like the kind of nutty thing I'd like to do! Maybe next time you got one of these hikes or Katahadin and Washington in a day, drop me a PM!

-Dr. Wu

Bravo

I am not the Mark S who kisses feet ;), but I am willing to sing your praises. Despite your tight schedule you were smart enough to wait out adverse conditions, wise enough to jettison an unneeded goal, and considerate enough to help out a fellow hiker in need. That is pretty much the definition of good hiking. And a good bit of logistical planning to boot. Again bravo!

Mark Schaefer said:
And a good bit of logistical planning to boot. Again bravo!

As my father has drilled into my head the "6 P's" of hiking, or anything else for that matter...."Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance" :)

Looks like you got that down pat, and sounds like you had a good weekend. And spending a night on Lincoln or on the upper part of OBP doesn't sound like fun, they're lucky they didn't catch a storm when they were up there or it would have been real trouble for them out in the open!

And good for you helping out the dude with his stuff after a rough night above treeline, shows the hiking community is a good bunch.

Good report, I enjoyed the read. Oh yea, and you're crazy, but in a good way.

Crazy Dave -

That is seriously one of the coolest weekend trips I've ever heard of in our Northeast Mountains! Outstanding trip report as well. I'm glad you had a fun and safe trip. But to set the record staight, I said I'd kiss your feet if you bagged Little Marcy and Haystack as well.

I would, however, be more than happy to give MountainGirl a peck on the cheek. ;)

I'm Very jealous.. I wanted in on this one but.. other plans prevailed.

Great job by the two of you. Very inspiring, once again proving that Human Spirit reigns over human physicallity. :)

CrazyDave... I may have a chore for 4th of July next year... if your interested in some NIGHT hiking in the whites. Hehe.. PM me.

CrazyDave, Thanks for the nice trip report and the crazy hikes! I told you that you should bear the pain to get HayStack in so you can get your feet the well-deserved kiss.

BTW, while we did the same amount of hike and I carried more weight, I didn't loose any pounds! Isn't that unfair?!

CrazyDave said:
Oh, and by the way. I lost 12 pounds doing this event.

Perhaps the "Crazy Dave Weight Loss Plan" could be developed out of all this. Eat everything you want, you just have to climb a bunch of huge mountains really fast every weekend. Makes South Beach look like a bunch of c*** if you ask me.

Matt

Hey

I'm really enjoying reading these Post. I'll try to get the pictures on to my Webshots site tonight so people can check them out. I don't know what my next Crazy Hike will be. But, it's not likely I'll be able to top this one. Especially what we did on day one.

I'd like to thank SherpaKroto for suggesting using the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail. And I'd also like to thank David Metsky for suggesting I do the Presidential Traverse from South to North. The Valley Way Trail was the better way to come down the Mountain.

Hey Dave,
You're crazy, man! Nice job - looking forward to the pics. Now that you've done this you won't be able to remember how cool the Katahdin-Washington trip was :). Oh well, I'm sure it was worth it and that MountainGirl was better looking company than I was.
Congrats to you both!

Katahdin and Washington in a day

Hey Burg

I will never forget our Kat/Wash trip. This one was much harder physically. But Katahdin and Washingon in a day will always be a Crazy Hike. Hope you doing well.

Hmmm....received this error when clicking the link.

An error has occurred.
You do not appear to be the owner of this album.
Make sure you are logged in.