Creating a Monster (For Dog Owners)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A good place to start is with his food. Have him work for it. Just don't let on to him that he's working. :p

Instead of giving it to him in meals, divy all his daily kibble up, and use it to train behaviors you want. Keep portions strategically located, so you can reward instantly.

For instance, near his bed -- toss a treat on his bed. He'll start hanging around his bed. Toss him a few when you noticing him settled down and sleeping -- anywhere.

Keep some by the door you use to take him out. Have him wait at the door until you release him.

Just a couple of everyday ideas to teach him that you appreciate him being settled in the house and to help build a bit of self control.

:)

Have fun! Yes, you will feel like he's working you like a slot machine -- but you can wean him off later.

One other thing in general, I just wanted to comment that a tired dog isn't necessarily a good dog. Restlessness can be a sign of stress, and too much exercise can lead to stress. Ever meet an overtired dog?? Cranky, impatient, snappy. Not a good thing, especially if you have young children in your home. This doesn't sound like an issue with Marley, but for some dogs -- over exercising can complicate issues.

Last edited:
One other thing in general, I just wanted to comment that a tired dog isn't necessarily a good dog. Restlessness can be a sign of stress, and too much exercise can lead to stress. Ever meet an overtired dog?? Cranky, impatient, snappy. Not a good thing, especially if you have young children in your home. This doesn't sound like an issue with Marley, but for some dogs -- over exercising can complicate issues.

I think if you read Dr Dodman's books you will understand what he is trying to get across to people when he says "A tired dog is a good dog."
I could not possibly do his work justice in one post. In the book "The Well Adjusted Dog" he covers every aspect of dog care from pup to senior including diet, exercise, psychological issues, aging and many other health and behavior problems.
I can remember on my Outward Bound course being out with the dogs all day, every day. They ran as fast as they could from one place to the next, and when we bedded them down for the night they looked anything but exhausted. In fact, one of them got loose during the night and the leaders spent an hour trying to catch him. Guess he hadn't had enough exercise for the day. :eek:
Huskies are a different breed. A dog officer in No Brookfield told me once when I was trying to return a husky pup to his home, that they are the biggest runaways, not because they hate their homes, they just want to run, run, run.
Watching the 2009 Iditarod on Versus last evening, I kept thinking of Marley. Of course, these dogs are the toughest of their litters, trained for endurance, but their energy levels are outrageous.
I think it's great when hikers own huskies because they can be assured adequate exercise, unlike the one in our town who had to be cared for by the neighbor because he was attached to a rope all day and just left there to dig up the yard and overturn the trash barrels.
There are so many variables when it comes to dogs, just like kids. Sometimes it's just trial and error, knowing your breed, and seeing what works best, and most of all caring.
I think Marley is one very lucky pup and I hope you enjoy each other's company for a very long time.

I'm suprised that noone mentioned doggy day care. My bundle of energy goes one day a week, gets needed socialization in a structured environment, and comes home much more worn out than on a ten miler...

Sorry I didn't read through everyone's posts, so if this is a repeat I apoligize.

How about an agility course?

There is a place in Sandwich that has courses, I am planning on signing my dog up soon. That will hopefully give her both the physical and mental stimulation she so desperately needs.

I think if you read Dr Dodman's books you will understand what he is trying to get across to people when he says "A tired dog is a good dog."
I could not possibly do his work justice in one post. In the book "The Well Adjusted Dog" he covers every aspect of dog care from pup to senior including diet, exercise, psychological issues, aging and many other health and behavior problems.

Maddy...LOVE Dr. Dodman. His books are really good. And my comment is not about overtiring a dog...it's about getting your dog sufficient exercise (both mental AND physical) for his or her activity level. I could run my dog until the cows come home, but without any mental stimulation, he's still a restless dog, but one who is in really good shape! I would utilize NILF (nothing in life is free) for EVERYTHING. Not only a great training tool, but also good for mental stimulation.

Huskies are a different breed. A dog officer in No Brookfield told me once when I was trying to return a husky pup to his home, that they are the biggest runaways, not because they hate their homes, they just want to run, run, run.
Watching the 2009 Iditarod on Versus last evening, I kept thinking of Marley. Of course, these dogs are the toughest of their litters, trained for endurance, but their energy levels are outrageous.

100% agreed about the physical, but I can attest that a husky is also one of the smartest dogs. They are THINKERS! They need the mental challenges because people pleasing is not always the top priority on their agenda.

Someone else mentioned doggie daycare...that's a good idea too if you can afford it. Nothing like socializing and playing for a day with other dogs.

Agility is a good idea too. LOTS of physical and mental stimulation, not to mention a great way to do more bonding with Marley!!!!

Hi all,

I joined a while back but have mostly been reading on the site so far.
I am not living in the northeast but wanted a place to learn about the northeast. I have been snowshoeing in the Whites twice and would like to visit more often. I currently live in Charleston SC, an older colonial port city.

I do a good bit of backpacking with my current dog so this thread caught my attention.
I had a husky in the past and can relate to the OP's problems. My husky was named Cash, I had him for 12 yrs. He was always restless and always into something, not a moment went by that the dog was not walking or running around, or looking for something to do. These dogs are very smart and do need a challenge as already mentioned. I used to hide treats around the yard, I set up a tether ball & various other toys, but my husky was just always ready to go! Finally I got another dog and that did seem to help, but a lot of the restlessness seems to be breed in from what I have read.

I currently have an Akita, and this dog is just the opposite. Very smart dog, and very alert, but able to lay back and relax after a good hike.
Good luck with your wonderful husky!

He will be 2 on 3/24 and he is an Alaskan Husky. I did a lot of research on this breed and discovered he does need a lot of exercise. He is what I call a collarless dog, and is rarely on a leash.
Ohhhhhhhh have I been there. I have a sleddog called a Seppala husky, bred for sprint distance racing, and I know your situation well. This will be a trying time for both you and your pup as you try to find ways to meet their endless need for work. A few suggestions, if I may:

Get Marley used to wearing something while you hike and walk. I've noticed when I put on her hiking or racing harness, her mindset changes completely. She's no longer aloof and scatterbrained, but very focused on the job at hand. She knows when these pieces come out, it's work time.

Get a racing harness and a skijor line (which absorbs the shock) and hitch the two of you together when you're out for a woods walk or run. Mika will pull me along like I was a sled. She won't drag me but just apply a moderate and constant pull. This seems to tire her out a lot more than just hiking or running by herself. I also work in some directional commands at turns or intersections, which seems to keep her mind active while running.

Get on a schedule. I found Mika to be much more manageable when I kept things consistent. Walks everyday after work, play for a half hour before night-time feeding, feeding the same time every night, weekend hikes at the same time every weekend, for roughly the same distance. Heck, one summer we went to the same place 12 weekends in a row and hiked the same loop. I got a little bored she didn't care. She was working and that's all that mattered to her.

Things will get better, but it takes time. Mika turned 5 in January and is starting to mellow a bit. These dogs are smart and it's all a big game to see who is the dominant dog. Mika used to put on a guilt-trip to get me to play or take her for a walk. She'd lay on her house with this sad, bored, depressed expression until I caved in. I got wise when I realized she would play ball for 5 minutes and then go lay under a tree, having won another battle in her quest to be top dog.

And as a last suggestion: If Marley like peanut butter, try filling an "Extreme Kong (the black ones) with peanut butter and freezing it. I toss one out as a treat and it will occupy Mika for an hour or two. When I retrieve it, it's usually licked clean.

Good luck!
Smitty