Crispo Peak-Leave No Stragglers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dms

Reaction score
Yesterday, Jim C. and I did two ME 3k peaks, Number 6 Mountain and S. Number 6 Mountain. S. Number 6 Mountain is better known as Crispo Peak, in honor of Dennis Crispo. Back in 1988, this peak had a listed elevation of 2991, Dennis put a register on the summit thinking it was close enough that when the new Tumbledown quad came out that it would qualify as over 3k feet. Well, lo and behold, the new map showed the elevation is 3010!! I did Number 6 Mountain back in 1989, but I did not do the south peak, so it has taken me 17 years to pick up this "straggler"!! The peak is remote, coming in from Jackman, it's about 20 miles in off the highway on Spencer Lake Road, Jim and I came in from Stratton on Beaudry Road, about a 20 mile drive as well. I have a picture of Dennis's entry in the original register at http://community.webshots.com/album/553070776wasFHf.

Last edited:
Dennis, thank you for the post and congradulations on drawing that much closer to completing the 451. Based on the register, how many people have visited Crispo peak since '88? Also, how was the drive in on Beaudry Road? Would my car have made it much beyond West Branch Road?

Nate, since 1988, the "usual suspects" have visited Crispo peak, the Paisely's, S. Eiliers, J. Swanson, Eric S., G. Houle, H. Foster, N. Torres etc. We used Jim's Subarau with no problems, other than the lumber trucks, it was not bad at all. We found two new lumber roads that will get you up to 2100+ ft. I will say that both peaks were scrappy, especially No. 6. The col was unpleasant.

Last edited:
Wow! Thanks for bringing back this old memory, Dennis. I remember this well. We were coming down along the ridge from No. 6 anyway. I asked Sonny and Frank if they wanted to get this potential 3000 footer on the way by. The rest is history and I remember the altimeter reading just over 3000' when we reached the top. I believe it was RoySwkr who dubbed it with this name and John McHugh who refused to remove it when Roy and I were doing New England peak list checking when a lot of new quad maps were coming out.

On my trip to No. 6 in 1989, I was with John McHugh,but because the new map wasn't out to verify the 3010 elevation, we didn't do it. Oh well, it took me 17 years to get back!

You guys are truly an elite club. And if anyone ever sees the Paisleys, tell them hi from Pat and Audrey. They were instrumental in getting us started on the 3K's, though we've tailed off a lot.

16 or so years ago, the day after finishing the NEHH (Boundary & Whitecap), we were listlessly climbing Cranberry Peak, and we met this couple descending, their legs covered with old scratches and bruises. Bushwhackers recognize each other quickly, and they told us about the 3K's, of which they only had 20 left. John and Bea are terrific people -they even supplied us with lots of topos and snowmobile route maps.

Audrey, they are wonderful folks! Couple of quick stories. Anne Gwyne and I were to meet them in downtown Greenville to do the Bakers & Lilly Bays, we waited until almost dark for them, but they didn't show up, so Anne and I looked for a place to camp for the night. We found an old lumber road in Lilly Bay and parked our trucks out of sight. Around midnight we saw some headlights near our trucks, immediately we thought we were faced with some beered up locals looking for trouble, but amazingly it was John and Bea!! How they ever found us that night still is a mystery to me! Then a few years later they sent me the register from Mullen, it seems that the ranger from Russell Pond found the bottle hidden in the summit cairn. He found their address in ME and mailed it to them with a stern lecture of not bespoiling the park with summit registers! They sent it to me because they knew that I was going to be doing Mullen. i was happy to return the register of Mullen on my trip there.

Dennis C. said:
Wow! Thanks for bringing back this old memory
I feel it particularly appropropriate as it is near Number 6, a number commonly associated with Mr. Crispo

OK Roy, why is the number 6 associated with Dennis, was he the 6th one to finish the New England 3k list?

Dennis, I am trying to research that, right now I think that it's about 25 finishers. Most finishers are familiar names, but I think that there a couple who may be under the radar.

dms said:
Back in 1988, this peak had a listed elevation of 2991, Dennis put a register on the summit thinking it was close enough that when the new Tumbledown quad came out that it would qualify as over 3k feet.
DC also booked a trip to Saddlerock/Saddleback 2998 as he felt it might reach 3k and there's a good chance he was right
http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6564&page=3

Last edited:
John McHugh, working with Roy and DC, sent out a list of the newly added 3k peaks back in 1992, I guess it's time to maybe add another "newer" peak to the list!

dms said:
John McHugh, working with Roy and DC, sent out a list of the newly added 3k peaks back in 1992, I guess it's time to maybe add another "newer" peak to the list!

451, 452, ... I like the sound of the NewEngland 500!

oop's, maybe their talking about the NE770... 771?, nope, I like 770.

Onestep

Congratulations on a job well-done.

"....since 1988, the "usual suspects" have visited Crispo peak, the Paisely's, S. Eiliers, J. Swanson, Eric S., G. Houle, H. Foster, N. Torres etc."

I know that Sue, John, Dennis C, and Erik have completed all the NYS 3k's and Adirondack HH peaks. Do any of you know if any of the other "usual suspects" have also done them or far along on them?

Thanks

Kurt, I started with the original list of New England 3k's, but I decided to also do the new peaks added in 1992, therefore when I finally finish, I will have done 470+ of them. So if you want, I'd be happy to give you the list of the now "disqualified" 3's, virtually all are bushwacks to boot!!

Peakbagr, I don't think there is anyone currently and actively working on the Northeast 3k list.