Crocker 1/11/09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robs

Reaction score
Parked at the crossing of ME27 for the AT at about 7:30. The parking lot was closed so I parked on the side of the road. Went up and down and all around the trail crossing Stoney Brook Mt. Snow stopped falling eventually and made it all the way up to a clearing near the last push to the summit... and couldn't find the rest of the trail. Bushwhacked the remaining third of a mile or so through thick small trees in deep loose powder. Made it to a place that was higher than any other, and standing on top of deep snow gave me the elevation I needed to authoritatively call this the summit, though I still didn't see a path. I was hoping for South Crocker but the loose powder and bushwhacking slowed me down so much that it was already past 1 o'clock and sunset was at 4:30ish, so started heading back. Turns out you don't enter that clearing near the top, you just barely see it and the path takes a sharp left or something... Made it back to the car by 4, no trouble with the car parked on the road.
There were tracks all over the mountain, some might have been moose and some rabbit. The view on the way down, once the clouds and snow had left, were spectacular. There are some parts of this trail that need pruning.
Just one question: who decided to blaze the trails white? Doesn't work so well in the winter :)

Does anyone know how long it takes to hike down Carrabasset Valley Road to the place that the AT crosses?

Robs, it's about a 4.5 mile road walk from RT 27 to the AT crossing. Everyone hikes at a different speed but if it's packed by snowmobiles, you should be able to do it in an hour and a half. Maybe a tad longer on the way out. ;)