Crown of Maine

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dentonfabrics

Reaction score
I'm planning a trip up north - way up north - to the crown of Maine, in the Fort Kent/Allagash area and I'm looking for some information from people who've been there. I'm going up for fishing, paddling, exploring, and hopefully hiking, although I'm not sure if there are any real trails up there besides herd paths.

Any and all info is appreciated but I have some specific questions too; Whats the camping situation like? Can you put a tent down anywhere or are there enforced restrictions? Or is there a hotel you could recommend?

How about driving there? According to mapquest, it looks quicker to take Rt 95 to Rt 11 (coming from Concord NH) than to drive north thru Pittsburg and into Canada. Is this correct?

Anyone know of a guide book or trail map for the area? All I've got is the new Maine Gazetteer and some crap that the Aroostook Tourist Bureau sent to me about balloon rides and other stuff like that.

Appreciate any help. I'm going for a week or so sometimes around Labor Day.

bob

At least as of a couple of summers ago, the Swamp Buck on Fort Kent's Main Street was a fine place to eat. Try the poutine - frites smothered in melted cheese and gravy - unless you're watching your cholesterol. We were paddling the Allagash, so our campsites were water-access only.

Only a bit further and you could do the Gaspésie Tres.

As for camping, there are the usual state park and commercial campgrounds (I liked Aroostook SP), free MFS campsites that you need to stop at ranger station for a fire permit (see DeLorme for locations), and fee campsites in the North Maine Woods. Random camping is illegal but not necessarily well enforced especially in wet weather.

There are trails to many of the old fire tower sites, some of which used to be in AMC ME guide

Canoeing is available on a variety of rivers and ponds, see AMC River Guide