CT/MA hike suggestions?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miau

Reaction score
Are there by any chance any "peaks" with decent views left in southern New England that can still be barebooted without great difficulty? The Holyoke Range is a possibility, but the more vertical gain, the better. Also, out of curiosity, is it safe to assume that Monadnock is quite icy?

Bear Mt. in NW CT is a nice hike, if you go up the north side it is fairly steep.
Take the Undermountain Trail to Paradise Lane Trail to the AT South. Views are great for CT.

This week has been warm but that's now a thing of the past. The trails that I have been tramping on this week in S. NH have all been wet, and with a good solid freeze tonight, the ice will begin to reform in ernest. You can call the Monadnock state park office tomorrow morning and they should be able to help. Currently there is no snow on the gound in my area.

I love hiking in the SW corner of Mass. Race, Alander, Everett are all great hikes.

Miau said:
Are there by any chance any "peaks" with decent views left in southern New England that can still be barebooted without great difficulty? The Holyoke Range is a possibility, but the more vertical gain, the better. Also, out of curiosity, is it safe to assume that Monadnock is quite icy?
MA peaks are higher, on average. What are you planning ? Day hikes or overnights ? If you are looking for vertical gain and loss with views, as in a work-out with some pay-out, the Schaghticoke section of the AT from Bulls Bridge to Kent and back again is a great hike.

I think the Race Brook Falls Trail to the col between Race and Everett is the prettiest route to the ridge and the summits are also quite nice. An open ridge walk continues south of Race.

On the NY side, the South Taconic Trail to Brace and Alander is another good hike. You could also take a side trip to the viewless highpoint on Frissell.

I'd expect some ice here and there but would be surprised if it caused unusual difficulty. Only the north side of Bear is steep and rugged for a sustained length.

Thanks for all the replies; I've actually been to all of the places mentioned...to some extent, at least. I find the views on Race to be far superior to disappointingly overgrown Everett's, despite the lower elevation. Is the aforementioned ridge south of the summit of any significant length? As to the NY approach to Brace, I found sections of that trail...illogical. With placement a few metres to either side, there'd have been far less sliding in the mud. Schaghticoke was one of my first hikes in the area but my uninitiated knees found it to be too much up and down without appreciable elevation gain. Oh well, at least I was a delicious snack for a swarm of mosquitos.

During the colder months, I prefer dayhikes and being a trail snail, total mileage rarely goes above 7 or 8. Are there any more nice views from the top(which means no ugly buildings on the summit!) further up I-91 than the Holyoke Range?

Mid-State Trail From Crow Hills to Audobon Land

Wonderful 10 mile hike. Good views from the Crows, Wachusett, and Brown Hill. Did this last weekend.

NW Ct and SW Ma are definitely the best bets for what you're looking for. Re your question about the ridge south of the summit of Race, it extends about 1/2 mile in the open before droping into the woods. I rarely climb Race without heading across the ridge even if I'm doing an out and back.

I agree with the comments about the Race Brook Trail. I also consider the section of the AT from the junction to the top of Everett to be in the "pretty rugged" category, with some steep slabby sections that can get pretty icy. Also, once you get to the top of Everett, if you just keep going north on the AT about 200 yards, you'll see some rocks to your left where there are some great views to the East and North, much better than on the summit.

The only other option in the general area where you can find some good elevation change is Greylock and the surrounding mountains. There have been some recent threads about this that you could search that gave lots of route suggestions.