Cupsuptic Snow, ME - 7/1/12

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damselfly

Reaction score
My bushwhacking buddy, Lew Dow, accompanied me on my final peak of the "six-pack." (He was with me for five of them!)

Road Directions from Eustis / Stratton:
-Rt. 27 to Tim Pond Road
17.3 mi. - Kennebago River
17.7 mi. - R onto Wiggle Brook Rd.
18.9 mi. - bear R (Sol Brk. Rd. goes L)
20.5 mi. - Wiggle Brook Rd. turns sharply to the R
21.0 mi. - L turn at the "Triangle T-stop"
24.7 mi. - road goes L; sign on a tree, road marker "22" ; park here, or turn left to drive .4 further
25.1 mi. - drive up this newly excavated* and grated road, parking at its obvious end

(*An excavator and dump truck, and signs of road improvement, surely mean logging to come.. which may change the appearance of this and other reports)

Hiking:

From the car, continue straight on the overgrown logging road. Tall ferns, tall grass, and wet marshy footing await you.ME%u00252520079DSCN5722.JPG

Turn left onto first big road (also overgrown, grassy & ferny) at about .33 mile. (There is a small pile of rocks here.)ME%u00252520080DSCN5723.JPG

Still climbing, you'll come to a large opening or field, perhaps the overgrown remains of a log landing area. Go straight across. You'll see a wood arrow and rock pile on the other side, confirming that you should go straight.ME%u00252520082DSCN5725.JPG

At about 3025', we came to a spot where it was no longer evident which way to go. An overgrown road went left*, but seemed to be the wrong compass bearing. So we crossed a small brook and took a bearing for the summit. (*When we descended from the summit via the herd path and natural "draws" of the land, it took us out to this "left hand road"... so take it.)ME%u00252520083DSCN5726.JPG

Now on a compass bearing to the summit, we passed over a herd path at about 3000' (not the one you want)... and we finally picked up the herd path to the summit at about 3200'.

Around 3400' there was the remains of a moose carcass, including a complete leg bone, skull, jaw, misc. bones and lots of decaying fur. RIP.ME%u00252520092DSCN5735.JPG

We followed the herd path the remaining way to summit. Due to swarming flies, it was a quick sign in the dry log, and back down. We tried to follow the herd path as best we could, but lost it from time to time.

The ascent took just a tad over an hour, and the descent an even hour. A little over 2 miles; 1182' of gain.

Beth Zimmer
btzimr at gmail dot com

I have tracks, or jpg images of the tracks if you want them. Of course, you might want to do it without... :)